Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripped screw in isolation valve

Options
  • 24-01-2024 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

very much a beginner DIY'er here. I found out that taps should all have isolation valves. Below is a picture of the pipes of my bath taps. few questions:

1) I only seem to have 1 isolation valve, indicated by the blue arrow on the first picture. There doesn't seem a second one? The pipe in the back doesn't seem to have this. Hard to see, hard to reach but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same valve as indicated by the blue arrow

2) second picture is the picture of the valve of the blue arrow. hard to see but can't really seem to take a better picture. I stripped the screw so now I don't really see a way how to fix this? I'm concerned that I possibly would have to turn off all the water supply and change the isolation valve(s).

for info, goal of me messing with these valves is the need to change the bath taps.

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, have a look into your hot-press and find the isolation valves coming off the cylinder and the feed from the attic tank. Leave the taps running and then close off the valves until the flow have stopped in both. You can then either replace the taps or replace those fitting with new valved ones, if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jens89

Thanks, I've tried to look in the hot-press area but haven't been able to find where it comes from. created a video to show it but seem to have some restriction posting links. I've emailed the support address and will update once I can post here.

Apparently I have to have 50 posts first before being able to link something. I posted this on youtube as the size was too large.

after youtube.com it would be

/watch?v=uwLrK-Z7kJk

hopefully that works.

thanks

Yes, that worked.

So that large red vessel and the unusual tap with the gauge on it is part of the central-heating system - it's the auto-top-up valve. That's the water which cycles around the radiators and into the heating coil which is in your hot water cylinder. You don't need to touch that in this case.

The two other taps- one a lever and the other a round handle - are possibly the cold feed from a water tank (do you have a water tank just behind that wall?) and then the hot water feed from the boiler to the cylinder.

The pipe which supplies the hot water to the taps around the apartment is this one:

...but it seems to have no valve. Do you have access to what's behind that panel in the top right?

You could try closing off the cold feed to the cylinder (that red lever) and then leave the hot tap run for around 3 mins. see if it slows down or stops running.

Got to it eventually. Had a plumber coming for an issue with the radiator and he looked in the paneling but there were only pipes. thought it would be under the sink but no luck. I ended up talking to a neighbor and it's behind a door in the hallway of the apartment.

• Advertisement

Great. The nuances of an Irish water system. We like to blame our Island neighbours for that one. 😂

haha. yea was a tricky one. Now thinking about it, it's actually smart to have it available in the hallway in case there is a leak in someone's apartment and the person wouldn't be home, it could be turned off if needed! That being said, I can finally start my bathroom project :D

Advertisement