Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Career Break to work in Private Sector

Options
  • 24-01-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Are there any civil servants here who took a career break from the civil service to work in the private sector for a few years before returning? I conducted a search and couldn't find any threads relating to a career break for private sector work. I'm contemplating it myself and have a few questions if anyone could please fill me in:

1. Is there a strong likelihood that the request can be refused?
    2. Just how stringent are the conflict of interest restrictions? I'm a civil servant with Revenue and would be interest in taking a break to work in private practice outside of Ireland so this is of particular interest to me.
    3. Would private sector firms be much more hesitant to hire someone in that position on a temporary (2-3 year) basis?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

1. My department I’ve never heard of anyone being refused, but they do have the right so I’m not fully sure on this 2. I don’t think that would be a conflict at all. 3 Why on earth would you tell them it’s temporary? To add I have heard of people not telling management that they are going to work in the private sector and then end up working there anyway. In fairness a lot start of their career break travelling or something and then do some work at some stage. Not sure if any of that helps as im not in revenue specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm on a CB at the moment. I was refused initially with poor grounds for refusal and had to escalate. It was finally granted just 2 weeks out from my finishing up date. I did not inform my current employer that i have that condition from the CS, i don't see why you'd declare that. All going well i will likely stay put which just terminates my CS position if i dont advise that im coming back in time. I'd think a private company would be hesitant to take someone on to a full time roll if they knew that you will not be staying on. That said there's plenty of fixed term work out there where that wouldn't matter.

I would think conflict of interest would be very real grounds for refusal and i made sure to note that there was no conflict of interest in the role i was taking on.

Advertisement