Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Seville Place naming

Options
  • 24-01-2024 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any inkling on how Seville Place got its name?

The only crumb I found was a connection to the city of Seville's role during the Napoleonic Wars. The Peninsular War within that. Many Dublin spaces and monuments got names from that war but this one feels like a stretch.

Before it was Seville Place it was simply called the North Circular Road being essentially the eastern end of that road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nobody knows. The name seems to have been in use from about 1820, which might reinforce suspicions that it is associated the the Napoleonic wars. I think this is about the time that section of the NCR was first being developed for housing. It could be that whoever developed it had some fondness for Seville.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I never considered your latter suggestion before. Very plausible.

I've seen a newspaper reference to Seville Place from 1821. From about 1818 there were multiple references to an address of "Circular Road, North Strand" Two mentions of that address said it lay to the east of the North Strand Road. Other references after 1821 described Seville Place as being built ON the Circular Road.

But its naming remains elusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

It certainly is elusive. Even an old directory "Dublin Street Names, Dated and Explained" by a Rev. C.T. McCready published in 1892 was stumped. Beside the entry for Seville Place there is just the date 1821 and the comment "Why so called?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The first houses on it were probably called Seville Place which would suggest a possibly very personal naming for whoever built or first lived in the houses. This might have then just been used to refer to the entire street afterwards.

Halpin Row nearby is of minor significance as Halpins lived in Seville Place relatively early in its existence. Smith Dillon and Dobbin are three other early surname associations.

Post edited by dsmythy on

Advertisement