Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 drivers vs the 2023 range

Options
  • 24-01-2024 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Has anyone tested any of the 2024 range of drivers. I would be interested to see how the TSR2 stacks up against the new Taylormade Qi10.

The Ping G430 10k is getting great reviews on the initial tests vs the rest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

No but I have been watching all the reviews on you tube. Surprised the TSR2 was rated better than the Paradym last year! Taught that was the no 1 driver for 2023.

The new 2024 Cobra is getting rave reviews! Qi10 not so much... I find it mad though that 1 brand comes out with carbon heads ie stealth and there the next best thing etc etc then all the brands start doing it! same when titanium heads came out! Make you wonder are they all in cahoots..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I know the marketing departments at the top brands will tell you otherwise, but can us average Joe soaps get the minuscule improved results year on year, that the tech in these new drivers suggests we should.

Myself, I’m currently playing off 5.7 and I’d average between 250-270 on a good day from the tee. At the height of summer on a warm evening, if I really stripe it, Ill push that out over 280. But that’s on a very rare day.

I play a TM M1 that I got fitted for in 2016. I flirted with the idea of upgrading last year, I was buying myself a new putter, so I decided I’d look at a driver too. I tried the TM Stealth, Callaway Paradym and Titleist TR3 in various shaft and head adjustments and there was no discernible difference with what I had. The only slight improvement was with the Stealth, in the 20 odd drives tested against my own club, I think it was on average 3 yards longer. But my miss hits with were dreadful, my own M1 was a lot more forgiving on the miss-hits.

Maybe the tech in the 2024 drivers has improved massively from last year, but I remain skeptical.  

Well I use to be the guy that bought into the tech and changed driver regularly but that was when they were €300 new. The prices now are ridiculous, €600+ I wouldnt even think about changing now unless my driver was at least 5 + years old and there was a sufficient improvement 5 or 6 yards isnt 😂

I still love look looking at the new ones though. I game the Cobra F9 was fitted when it came out and got a upgraded shaft in it 2 years ago as I was changing irons and kinda was interested in upgraded shafts plus fitter at time told me the shaft in my driver was cheap. To be honest the new shaft hasnt made much difference but was cheaper than a new driver!

I did have 2 friends last year that bought the Paradym and the difference was night and day and grabbed my attention hence why I was shocked the TSR2 was rated better..

I'm the same, I do love looking at the shiny new gear, but I just couldn't justify paying €600 for a new driver, when anything I try makes zero to little difference on what I have.

I haven't upgraded significantly in either irons or driver the past few years. Driver I've had since 2016 and I got fitted for the ping i500's in 2018, and they still do the trick. My one big purchase in the last 5 years was a Scotty putter last year, but that has always been a dream purchase so I don't mind that.

I am however a softie when it comes to golf clobber! I've spent a nice few quid on top of the range wet gear and Ill regularly buy tops, trousers, shoes etc whenever my golf expenditure kitty reaches the allowable quota!

Well we have to spend something on the game we love 😁

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

I saw a review on TXG a few months back comparing the Taylormades over the years and the original SIM was longer and more consistent than the new Stealth. Better off getting a solid previous version head and spend on the upgraded shafts.

I did this with the ventus velocore and saw instant changes in distance and ball speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think the concensus from most testing groups/companies would be that realistically you'd need at least 5 years between equipment for there to be a reasonable potential gain that could justify a change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I would ask that fitter why he chose the shaft he has in his or in his customers driver.

Answer being it best suits his speed tempo and release characteristics of his swing.

You will have many fitters of world renown (trottie from Taylor made and Ian Turner of txg fame on youtube) tell you shaft is the most important factor in fitting process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’ve hit he Qi10’s, Cobra darkspeed, Callaway AI Smoke and the TSR2 on trackman. I had the best results with the DarkSpeed and the TSr2. They suited my delivery better. Loved the feel of the darkspeed.

What driver do you have? and did you notice a sufficient difference with the ones you tested? The Cobra is getting great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

My driver is 4 years old and a 9° head. The biggest issue I think was loft for me. But I was getting better carry overall when I used the higher lofted TSr2 and Darkspeed. More than I was getting from the Qi10 and Callaway range in the higher lofts too.

Shaft made a difference aswell. Well worth booking in for a good fitting imo as everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Managed to try the Qi10 today and the AI Smoke. Thought I would like the look of the Taylormade more but doesn’t look aswell as the TSR 2. Felt explosive off the face but my miss is left and didn’t help it.

AI smoke surprised me was able to hit the high draw no issues and it’s a very fast head. Comparable on numbers to the TSR

usually don’t like the names driver irons but the fitter wanted to try the AI smoke irons compared to my mizunos. 15 yards carry off the bat and don’t look chunky at all. Comparable to the t200 looking down. Would be a nightmare to gap but felt great on all hits

Advertisement