Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing kitchen hob - wiring connections?

Options
  • 23-01-2024 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Lads,

I am trying to replace an old electric ceramic hob with a new induction hob, (electriQ 60cm 4 Zone Induction Hob SKU: eiQ60INDTOUCH Quickfind Code: 1291512).

I was wondering if I can connect the wires as per the yellow arrows in the attached picture? Read the image from the bottom up. I was going to use the existing cable from the old hob, as replacing the old cable is tricky in terms of access at the end that goes to the fuse box.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bob

Post edited by contrafl0w on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! That extra grey and black look wrong to me. It looks like you originally had a single-phase hob (and it's wired as single-phase) but the new hob is supposed to be single-phase (but is capable of taking two phases) but is actually wired for three-phase...?

That new black rubber flex with 5 wires on the new hob: where did it come from as it's pre-crimped and doesn't look very much like the wire in the original hob? Is there an isolator switch or connection box which the hob was wired back to and do you have access to? If so have a look in and I'm nearly sure that you'll find that the black and grey are not connected. Otherwise take more photos of the cable-ends and isolator and we'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 contrafl0w

"That new black rubber flex with 5 wires on the new hob: where did it come from as it's pre-crimped and doesn't look very much like the wire in the original hob?"

That came with the new hob, it was already pre-wired like that. I should have taken a picture of the other end of this flex, the 5 wires are crossed into 3. If you look at the grey sticker diagram on the new hob above. L1 & L2 are combined into L and N1 & N2 are combined into N. So there are only 3 wires at the unconnected end of the new flex.

Therefore should I just connect the new flex to the old flex, L to L, N to N, earth to earth?

I can post photos of the other end of the flex tomorrow.

There is an isolator switch, I can look at it tomorrow and take a picture also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

the 5 wires are crossed into 3 ... So there are only 3 wires at the unconnected end of the new flex.

Ah right, not clear from that diagram. Ok, so then it's as simple as you mentioned except that the connection should be done at the isolator switch rather than tagging that extra flex onto the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 contrafl0w

Ok, thanks 10-10-20. I will try and remove the old flex in its entirety and use the new flex. The length of the new flex maybe an issue, but I will find out for sure tomorrow, when I go back to the property.

Cheers pal.

Advertisement