Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you interested in the Oscars, Emmys etc?

Options
  • 23-01-2024 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,204 ✭✭✭✭

Every year we see these awards motioned in the news however outside of this I don't think I've ever had a discussion, overheard somebody talking about these awards. Are they a big thing in Ireland? Are you interested in them?

It's good to recognise film makers/actors for their talents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

No,they're a load of bollocks.It's completely a matter of taste what is and is not a good film/tv show/book etc.

Whole load of people today bitching about Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie and not getting an oscar nomination , if the film is good and the performance is good then it shouldn't matter if they get Oscar nominations or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The coke dealers have to sell their wares somehow. There'll be more white powder at those gigs than in Antartica. Having said that I'll be watching out to see how the Irish go but I wont be up watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to be, but less every year.

It was after I watched a few BEST FILM winners, and thought they were pants. Think one was Midnight and the other about Frances McDormand working for Amazon. Can't even recall it's name now. Nomadland?

I was actually disappointed with Oppenheimer. Too long and too much court room stuff. But Murphy was good in it, but nothing special.

It's handy filler for the 24hr news cycle and irish radio. Same stuff every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If millions of people like your art, will mention how it affected them as a person, what it means to them then who gives a flying F about a small gold trophy?

Let's also take the sterile formulae now for Oscars. There is a whole category called "Oscar bait", that is films that are made specifically to win those awards and released at such a time as to win them. Imagine having a selection of boxes of what needs to be ticked to be considered....you just end up by and large similar films.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.

Couldn't give a shiny sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Oscars, Golden Globes, Baftas etc. are the film industry giving it self awards....in an effort to big up sales of their products.

Its shameless shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Baba Yaga

no,if its a good film its a good film and to me shouldnt need any trophy...ive watched a good few of those oscar winners over the years and thought some of them were shite and then i get told...but it won an oscars/emmys/golden globes/whatever...well thats great,i still think its shite

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's just media thinking that there is nothing more important than media tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Exactly, all patting each other on the back. You were wonderful, no you were amazing.

Reminds me of the irish one, "supporting artists,supporting us".

Artists aren't in it to support me, they are in it to make money. Let's not kid ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I thought Oppenheimer was overlong pretentious nonsense. As said Murphy was good, but JFC some of the stuff I'd read had you thinking you were in for some sort of life changing reckoning with your own soul watching it.

And also agreed, the last great film I recall watching in the cinema was All the Money in the World- I think I've been twice since lockdown and both films were meh. Every big film at the Oscars these days seems to be ridiciliously avant garde.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This speech by George Clooney after he won an Oscar in 2006 sums up the self absorption of these hollywood types have about themselves and their industry:

GEORGE CLOONEY:

"Wow. Wow. Alright, so I'm not winning Director. It's a funny thing about winning an Academy Award, this will always be sort of synonymous with your name from here on in. It will be: Oscar winner George Clooney, Sexiest Man Alive 1997, Batman, died today in a freak accident....

Listen, I don't quite know how you compare art. You look at these performances this year, of these actors, and unless we all did the same role—everybody put on a bat suit, we'll all try that—unless we all did the same role, I don't know how you compare it. They are stellar performances and wonderful work, and I'm honored, truly honored to be up here.

And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects, we are the ones—this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy, proud to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this."

https://aaspeechesdb.oscars.org/link/078-2/#:~:text=We're%20the%20ones%20who,in%20the%20backs%20of%20theaters.

It's undoubtedly one of the sleaziest professions in the world but according to George, hollywood is responsible for saving the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

"oscars.....its past revolting, and just seems to get worse. bullsh1t like this seems more important than current affairs the last few yrs, ppl lapping it up, all they seem to do is talk about, while superglued to their phones 24/7.

ive never watched it, i find it nauseating , a narcissistic exercise for those associated with it, looking for the massage of applause, the masses fawning all over them....its ill.

the caliber of movies and actors are nowhere near as good as yesteryear ? rehashing old stuff, copying old stuff and renaming it. Not to mention all the garbage CGI and " superhero" drivel they spurt out. Yup, lots of tech and work goes into all those type movies, but they're garbage, i really dont see the attraction of them at all.

the odd year you'll get a good movie, but few and far between.

we used to watch the gr"ham norton tv show, but canned it. he was always good with interviews but we dropped it for the reason i pointed out above, actors and so called celebrities, just love ppl telling them how amazing they are and how good they look etc. it kinda got a bit much for me and made me feel sick..

if they really stopped making movies , would anyone actually care after a while, seriously, think about it. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Not really. I sometimes look at what's nominated for Best Picture to see if there's anything that I've missed out on but apart from that I don't care at all. I pretty much consider all award shows to be meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I can’t wait, there’s a lot of buzz around Lenny this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The thing that started to put me off was when I used to hear about films being released later in the year as it increased awards chances. Do the people who are tasked with the really important job of choosing the best film have such horrible memories that the best film of the year could slip their mind if released earlier in the year?

And, circle w@nk.

Advertisement