Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up Rads

Options
  • 23-01-2024 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, total plumbing amateur so forgive me if I use the wrong terms here but three of my rads upstairs in my house are not heating up properly, just a little at the bottom, stone cold the rest of it.

Tried bleeding them but no air or water come out, from googling it seems this means I've not enough water in the system and I need to top up the rads by opening the bleed value which should be in my hot press. Only problem is there's two valves in there and I've no clue which which is which and I don't want to break anything. Can anyone help?

Crap picture I know but valve one is at the top right beside the towels, value two is at the bottom left. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Get some decent pics of both ends of the flexible pipe beneath the red tank. Your valve could just be a tiny one that is operated by a screwdriver.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MadsFi

Hopefully these are better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭youtheman

Just open this valve. Normally there would be a pressure regualting valve on that line (in case the water mains pressure is excessive). So before you open the valve see if there is a pressure gauge on the system somwehere. If there is just crack the valve open slightly and close it again when the pressure is about 1.5 bar.

No pressure gauge to be found, which doesn't seem great... Should I just open it for a few seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Is there a pressure gauge on your gas boiler and if so use that reading

• Advertisement

It's an oil boiler and no, not that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Your pump looks like its plugged in rather than hardwired. Never seen PEX pipe off the flex hoses (out) . Looks like someone was not bothered in bending copper /using fittings to install punp.

At the very least the PEX could do with being fixed to the wall just where they curve to pump.

Ok... Any ideas on the original question?

Advertisement