Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a medication dispensing charge?

Options
  • 22-01-2024 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

So I initially got a prescription for 14 days of medication supply and it costed me €12 at Boots pharmacy.

After 2 weeks, consultant prescribed the same medication, but this time for 4 weeks and it costed me €13. I assumed this would cost double i.e. €24.

1. Is there a flat dispensing fee charged by pharmacies per item?

2. If yes, would Boots be the reasonable option in the long term?

3. Is there a website to check how much a specific drug is going to cost including the pharmacy dispersing charge?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There is a dispensing charge and it varies from pharmacy to pharmacy. Medication costs can vary too, often from order to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

There is 100% a dispensing charge and as mentioned it varies from pharmacy to pharmacy.

Didn't cope this for years, used to get prescription monthly when a poor student thinking I was at least not been hit with cost for 6 mths until one day a kind pharmacist told me I'd save money by buying 6 mths together.

I was shocked by savings, lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Prices vary widely between pharmacies, too: I paid almost 100% more for a month of a fairly stabd drug at a new centre pharmacy vs the suburban Pure Pharmacy.

Don't be scared to ask them to hive you a quote, especially if it's for long term item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks all. That's a great info!

Any possible website to check medication prices?

I live in Limerick City and nearest Pure Pharmacy is about 50 minutes drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shop around. I'm not aware of any meaningful comparison site for anything in Ireland. Note that pharmacies may restrict the amount they supply, depending on the medicine.

This is an incomplete list of pharmacies in County Limerick. Quite a few pharmacies, even independent ones, have websites and/or social media presences.

Adare Pharmacy

Ballycummin Pharmacy

Boots

Caherconlish Pharmacy

Cahill's Pharmacy

Castleconnell Pharmacy

Castletroy Park Pharmacy

Daarwood Pharmacy

Dempsey's Pharmacy

Dooleys Pharmacy

Foynes Pharmacy

Halley's CarePlus Newtown Pharmacy

Hanley's Chemist

Haven Pharmacy

Haven

Homecare Medical

Horan's

Jim McCormack

Lloyds Pharmacy

McCormack's

McKenna's Allcare Pharmacy

O' Sullivan's

O'Donoghues

Old Windmill Pharmacy

O'Malley's

Oola Pharmacy

Osborne's pharmacy

O'Sullivan's

People's Park Medical Centre

Racefield Pharmacy

Raheen Pharmacy

Roberts Pharmacy

Ross Pharmacy

Scanlans Pharmacy

Scanlons Pharmacy

Scanlon's

Sloan's

Southside Pharmacy

Superdrug

Thomond Pharmacy

Total Health Pharmacy

Widdess Fitzgibbon Pharmacy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And some pharmacies will deliver by post or courier nationwide. Try Healthwave.

I searched online and came across that Chemist Warehouse is the cheapest for medicines in Ireland.

Anyone used it? Do they deliver home?

https://chemistwarehouse.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are not consistently cheapest. Nobody is.

Some pharmacies compete very hard on a small list of very common medicines as those are the ones that a price comparison list in a newspaper will ask for

Some pharmacies pass on discount deals they get from their distributors, most don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I recently started to use their bricks and mortar Chemistwarehouse pharmacy adjacent to the Blanchardstown Center in Dublin 15. They charge me €16 per month for my prescription medication that a local Boots was charging me over €50 for.

Previously I used to often buy my medication in Spain, in any local pharmacy over there. They all charged me €15 a pop. They also didn't need an up to date prescription, nor had they any problem giving out 6 months supply at a time (savings could pay or make a big contribution towards a quick off peak break away).

BTW, I wasn't buying anything like sleeping tablets or Solphadine type tablets. I have heard that they can be much stricter dispensing these and will not accept Irish GP prescriptions. If you want this type of medication you have to take your Irish prescription to a local Spanish doctor, who will prescribe them for you on a Spanish prescription, which the pharmacy will then dispense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement