Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Area In House After External Insulation

Options
  • 22-01-2024 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I have recently had external insulation added to our house and there is a significant difference in heat retention.

However, there is one wall in our kitchen that is still very cold.

It is the only wall in the house that actually has a studded wall internally.

I would like to get someone to have a look, but I'm not sure what type of tradesman I need.

Is it possible to simply have the stud wall filled with insulation (through a hole) rather than dismantling the whole wall?

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

my money is on the stud being ventilated from either the attic or outside.

You will n need to find the source of the wind

do you have a internal wall vent that you can take off and take a picture

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any pictures of the wall in question? Is it external? Is it gable wall? Does it attach to a chimney stack ? Why is it studded as opposed to plasterboard to wall.

Many questions, note a typical handyman or builder isn't necessarily clued into the specifications required to solve these issues they usually work to drawing. Some are, many aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Here is a photo.

The area is under a flat roof. The flat roof is fully insulated. The room is otherwise warm, just this end that is cold.

I'm assuming it's a studded wall as it is plasterboard and has a hollow sound when tapped. There was originally a window in the wall that was bricked up many years ago.

I agree with listermint regarding "clued into". That is why I asked the question as to what type of tradesman I should approach to come and have a look.

The hollow sound can be dot and dab plasterboard. I presume there is no EWI above the shared party wall neighbours roof. Meaning that detail can cause thermal bridging.

Recommend whipping off the skirting to see if there's a draught. Is the rear wall cavity wall or cavity block? The door detailing i.e airtightness around the frame is also a hugely important area.

Hi listermint

It's a block wall.

I've no idea what EWI is, so can't answer.

The main way that I have concerns is that if I, for instance, have a pack of beers in the sideboard, it is as though I have had it in the fridge (very cold).

I don't want to take on any of the works necessary to establish the cause, but would prefer to get the right tradesman, who has specific expertise in this type of issue.

Can I get some guidance as to what type of tradesman I should be looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Whip off your skirting boards and have a look. I found it before with EWI and dry lining that the insulation hasn't run to floor level and there is a gap of a few inches and block work can be seen internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

EWI , you paid a fortune for it 😉.

As stated you won't find one easily that can fully solution this tbh. Can give you some advice on what to check for before you go searching for someone to take on works. You could just aswell walk into it clueless have someone do a handful of wrong things and find the same cold scenario exists.

Thanks listermint.

When I am planning to do the works, I will certainly seek assistance from you. Appreciate the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

?????????

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement