Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence damaged neighbours shed

Options
  • 22-01-2024 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I am away on holidays at present and my neighbour contacted me to inform me that my fence took flight last night during the storm and damaged his shed. The fence in question is a divider fence on the boundary.

I have contacted my insurance who advised they don’t cover this in my policy. The fence was fine before the storm would anyone have any experience of this I know they can’t provide legal advice on a form but anything happen similar to my predicament and outcome of it? I’m a bit lost as to where to go about it. My neighbour wants me to foot the bill of replacement shed.

thabks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,580 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If it's a dividing fence on the boundary is it not a shared fence? (in which case his own fence damaged his property?)

Or is it totally on your side of the boundary and owned by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Qwer

What reason did your insurance company give you for damage to the shed most house insurance policy would have a personal liability section if your liable section which would cover you if you are found liable for damage to another person or their property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Have you seen pictures? A new shed needed?

Who “owns” the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Following this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newjob1

Just to add, the fence was already in situ when we moved in. I think it was provided by the builder when the houses were build around the boundary.

yes the shed is seemingly destroyed which I find strange as the fence is only 4.5 foot and same width I find it hard to believe it would have caused all that damage. He seems to think it’s my fence only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Quick txt.

"I'm away will contact u when I get back."

Then relax and enjoy yourself.

Master of the Universe

If it was provided by the builder when the houses were built then it's a boundary fence and his own fence damaged his shed. I'd be telling him to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The shed could have been in rag order before ghand and this is the killer punch.

Shared fence, end of

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

His own fence fell down and hit his own shed. He's evidently a flute, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Good to see you not sitting on same :) Keep well

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You say the fence was there when you moved in. That's important.

Have you any idea how the neighbour has formed the view it's your fence?

Do you know if they have been maintaining the other side of the fence?

Looks at the basic level that they are trying it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Your neighbour is a chancer.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

if it's a boundary fence constructed by the builder, then you both own it. it's a shared fence. it's his just as much as it's yours. like the other posters said, he's trying it on.

i have a concrete wall separating my property from my neighbours'. the same would apply if it fell over and squashed my cat! tough luck (especially for Mr. Tibbles)😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dual maintenance and ownership applies here if as said it's a boundary fence. Tell him to piss off in a polite way if he keeps annoying you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So is maintenance of the fence 50/50, but damage to garden buildings is 100% on the owner of the building(s) even though the fence is shared and caused the damage? Asking for a friend 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's Schrödinger's shed until the Op is back from their holliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

What sort of shed is written off by a fence panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newjob1

A steel shed supposedly…. Bit shocked myself that a thin wooden panel could bring a steel shed down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Was it some sort of jackie chan fence panel? Logic to me would be there was storm damage and his shed was damaged. Fence panel coming adrift is completely coincidental.

Maybe ask him for an engineers report for your insurance detailing how a fence panel demolished a shed, that would otherwise have stood up to last nights storm.

Me thinks your neighbour is chancing his arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Reply to him saying. "That fence is yours. I never put up a fence. By the way can you repair it please.".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Ask him to pay you compensation for ruining your holiday.

How is it your problem he has a crappy shed!

Living the life

Master of the Universe

If you think about it, the side of the fence that damaged the garden shed would have been the 50% of the fence that the shed owner owned as it's on his side.

Unless the fence did a backflip and kicked the shed with the 50% of the OPs side of the fence.

Might have a hard time proving that in court 😁

Advertisement