Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Damage

Options
  • 22-01-2024 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

My roof took some damage last night during the storm and on closer inspection it seems this happened due to wood being rotten/wet it seems. I dont know much about roof work and wording how much something like this would cost to repair, if anyone can advise please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

its your facia and soffit, water got in behind it, shouldn't be a huge job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If the damage is isolated to that area then it's around a 2hr to 3 hr job. If it extends beyond that then it's anybody's guess. I'd say you'd be looking at 400 EUR anyway. Looks like it was caused by the rain working it's way in behind the facia as that small felt on that edge detail didn't extend out far enough to allow the water to fall off and away from the facia board.

That's the critical part to get right so that this doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Have the original fascia, soffit and bargeboard been overclad in uPVC?

It looks like the original were already affected by rot so there may be an inherent weakness in what the uPVC is now being fixed to.

It might also explain the lack of any decent overhang with the tile verge?

I think if it is being repaired you will have to look carefully at the original boards and possibly the rafter tails.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

Thanks, 10-10-20 and FJMC, both seem spot on, yeah there was pvc over that section before it came down in storm. Cost wise that seems doable but im going to get an inspection around that area of roof just to be sure no other issues to pop up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

How did you get on in the end with the repairs Beefcake82? I only ask as something very similar just happened to our house, getting it looked at tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

Hey, yeah got a couple quotes, got repair done for €350

Advertisement