Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripley - Netflix - Andrew Scott

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

What's his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where and when can we watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I am disappoint because I saw the words Scott and Ripley and thought it was something to do with Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ripley 8 episode series will launch on Netflix from 4th April

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drops tomorrow, Looking forward to seeing Andrew Scott's take on Ripley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

This is awful.

It's 8 hours of Andrew Scott (Ripley) walking up and down stairs, walking up and down steps, into and out of banks, across streets and bridges, taking taxis, looking in windows, looking at newspapers - all of it in black and white which can be beautiful and atmospheric when used appropriately, but not in this dirge. The beauty and vibrancy of that period of time in Italy is lost whilst the older age of Ripley and Dickie versus the book and film is extremely apparent.

Ripley is so slow, with zero pace it is utterly, truly painful. There's no beauty or joy or danger as everything is destroyed by the dreary pacing and cardboard acting.

As for the other main characters, deathly dull Dakota Fanning (Marge) manages to plunge every slow, meandering scene further into the abyss as Johnny Flyn (Dickie) exudes the charisma of a dishcloth.

The piece de resistance is Sting's daughter Eliot Sumner who incredulously plays Freddie Miles. Yep, that's right. Why this bit of casting occurred is anyone's guess (gwan, have a guess!) but you definitely won't win a prize for guessing why. The short haircut didn't do the trick, luv.

I've managed 5 out of 8 episodes and as I usually finish something I started, I don't know if I can go on with this one to be honest.

Avoid, avoid, avoid and stick to The Talented Mr. Ripley film and book.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

It's getting great reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I watched the first episode the other day and got a feeling things were headed this way. The decision to shoot it in black and white seems an incredibly self indulgent one too, I've never seen the Italian coast look so dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Im Gonna have to stop reading guardian and IMDb if this turns out to be rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

as above

Avoid, avoid, avoid and stick to The Talented Mr. Ripley film and book

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭8mv

Excellent - a different take on the characters. The film was great and this was also - we don't have to compare them and decide one is better so the other one must be shite. We can enjoy both. This was beauifully filmed and some wry dark comedy. I enjoyed the red herrings. Nice Pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I watched the first few episodes bases on the incredible review it was getting. I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so set in New York - just the black and white 1950s or whatever era its supposed to be, it looked brilliant.

Managed to get through two more episodes but giving up now, agreed its too slow and the black and white doesnt serve half as well with the italian village scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

watched the first two last night. It’s extremely slow. Seems like it’s wading in the place. I understand taking time to show some of the sights and immerse the audience in the place via soundscapes, but it’d be better if they moved on from this after the first episode and showed more immediacy. The problem I found was it’s slow so your mind wanders or you look away to something else for a minute and you miss something important that comes out of nowhere.

I saw the Matt Damon movie years ago but can’t remember it. I wish they’d went with colour as it’s not doing the location justice. Sting Jr feels like very jarring casting. Tge character sounds like a young teenager trying to come across as an adult and I was left wondering how Dickie was hanging out with Freddie. I haven’t seen enough Dakota Johnson yet to really say much about her. I’ve seen Scott in Sherlock and his Hamlet and this is his weakest showing of all I’ve seen. I’d say he’s likely miscast but he’s the cool art kid on the block now and the director looks like he’s well into his arty stuff so I’m guessing that’s why he’s in this. No reflection on Scott. He’s doing his best with a role that doesn’t seem to fit him.

I haven’t lost interest yet but I am wishing they’d hurry up and tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

If you are expecting a dupe of The Talented Mr Ripley you will be disappointed.

If you watch it without making comparison with the original and see that this is a series in its own right, you'll like it a lot.

Yeah it b&w - but that stops you being distracted by the scenery and brings you more into the story. You also need to understand the characters and again not presume its all the same as the original.

Ending suggests that there could easily be a 2nd series.

It not "must see". But 7/10 would be a fair score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Never seen the talented Mr Ripley movie myself so cant compare it to that.

This series though had me hooked with the first 15 minutes.

But by the end of episode 2 we were wondering should we continue with the borefest it had become.

A few days later we gave episode 3 a go. Even more of a borefest.

Then last night we watched the first half of episode 4 and then just stopped. That was enough for us.

The only reason we tried really hard to stay interested was because a friend said he had binged the whole lot and it was amazing and kept getting better and better after episode 2.

It did not. It was worse it was getting so we just gave up and wont be back to it.

There is not one good performance from any of the actors either in what we watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What do people mean by it being incredibly slow, I'm loving it myself, Its an 8 part TV series, your comparing it to a hour and a half film, of course its going to be a bit slower. I also like the black and white visual of the series and think Andrew Scott is doing great job on this, but as they say horses for courses.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kingslayer

I might try this series. I did like the film,the sequel with John Malkovich was good too.

• Advertisement

it did take a step up after ep 3 I think once the murders started. It came into its own after that k feel

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭joinme

Surprised so many on here didn't like this or gave up after 2 or 3 episodes. For me this is one of the most accomplished, stylish and engaging Netflix series in years. The pace is precisely so, because it perfectly mirrors Ripleys thought process, how methodical and meticulous he needs to be, to continue to keep two steps ahead of everyone. I loved the direction, particularly the cinematography and sound (cigarettes being lit; footsteps on stairs). Down to the way Andrew Scott says 'grazi', in that sardonic way of his.

Have watched movie too, and It's not one or the other for me, both make great tribute to source material.

5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

gave up after second episode. Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Fantastic. Loved it.

Up there with Mindhunter & Midnight Mass as the best things Netflix has produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I can't remember another TV show that has so completely divided its' audience. This sounds to be a real 'Marmite' watch.. you either love it or hate it. No middle ground.

I've been holding off on this until the consenus was one way or the other.

(I know that's a lazy way to watch TV but I've a lot of shows backed up and just trying to save some time!).

I guess I'm just gonna have to take the plunge…

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

It's good. Shouldn't really be compared to the film. In my opinion, the film is better, as all the actors in the film were at their absolute best in it. (Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman were extraordinary). It's my favourite film. In this series, Andrew Scott is in a league of his own as an actor. I'm on episode 6 so far, and the inspector played by Maurizio Lombardi (I looked him up) is making it more interesting and adding some subtle humour (his face when he looks at Dickie's art!). I'm divided about the black and white. On one hand I think it is a shame to put that part of Italy in black and white, but on the other, it really suits the theme of the story and creates a sinister atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I'm really enjoying it. Currently on ep 7.

I love the look of it. They seem to have made a decision to make every shot look like a Carravagio - the word 'chiaroscuro' keeps coming to mind. I love the time that is taken to let a scene just … sit. The cat, the trees, the symmetry of the buildings, I love it all.

Still, somebody pointed out that Dickie doesn't have the sort of effortless charisma that would drive Tom to be so desperate to be close to him and emulate him. I totally agree. Every time he pops up I say 'Now, who is this?' because he's so forgettably bland.

I think Andrew Scott is convincing as Ripley. He conveys the desperation to be liked and believed very well.

In the book and the film Freddie Miles is obnoxiously sexual and… male. Very strange casting decision. Very strange. I could understand if the character was redefined as a different sort of character, but they just seem to have hoped that Sumner would make it work and that did not happen.

The detective is terrific, as are all the dodgy characters Tom encounters. Dakota Fanning is very washed out and passive, but that's the only sort of personality that would make sense of Marge's complete devotion and helplessness.

In general I think it's one of the best things I've seen in a long time. It won't suit those who have become accustomed to the Marvel-style VFX extravaganzas or the cinematic offerings of Michael Bay, with flying cameras, snappy dialogue and explosions every few seconds.

I finished it last night. In the main I diff enjoy it but the last episode kind of let the thing down. His deliberating killing marge seemed a bit of. In the end I couldn’t figure out whether she was just stupid in buying his story or smart and kept one stop ahead of him. I assume the former really.

Pulling in John Malkovic to play the forget seemed kind of forced. The episode felt a bit too long I thought. In the end I was left trying to figure out what he achieved really with it ask apart from acquiring a Picasso. The stream of cash from Mr Greenleaf had stopped and it did look like he was moving in to hood next mark but it just ask seemed kind of empty.

The revelation with Msrge’s book seemed a bit silly as well. This had been niggling me anyway. Didn’t the inspector interview Tom as Tom already but then subsequently interviewed him as Richie. I’m kind of surprised as it’s shown in the series that he didn’t twig they were the same person and shouldn’t have been the jest surprised by Marge’s book.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Greengrass53

Is dakota Johnson in this? What part is she playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Greengrass53

No. He interviewed him as dickie and subsequently as a well disguised Tom. So he wouldn't have known. He knows now with the arrival of the book of course but Ripley is now Timothy fanshaw.

Advertisement