Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepard loose in neighbour's garden

Options
  • 22-01-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

I have a neighbour who has always kept German Shepards.

Up until recently they usually had the dog secured in a reasonably large area at the side of the house. When they had the dog at the front of the house they would keep the dog secured on a long lead(cruel?)

However recently they have been teaching the dog to stay in the front garden without a lead while they are away. The dog is good with people and does not do much when I walk past. However when I walk past with my dog it charges. I've only gone past once and would not risk it again. It did not go past the gateway but was charging and there was nothing to stop it.

I wouldn't risk calling to the door to ask them about it knowing that the dog is unsecured. Is it legal to have a dog roaming in your garden unsupervised like this? I see it all the time with small dogs which isn't right either but this dog would easily overpower me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can't see any legal issue if the dog is confined to their property.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is there a possibility that they have installed a radio fence, aka "invisible" fence system? The dog would be wearing a collar with a black box attached to it... the collars are usually red, but I assume there's scope for variability there.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Is it confined? There's nothing keeping it in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

So there is no legal requirement to have it in a secure area while the owner is away?

• Advertisement

I have not seen one, I know what they look like as I have seen them on other dogs.

What I have seen is him teaching the dog to stay in the garden. But that was only recently and now it is there while no one is home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Deary me. Though I will say that teaching the dog about the boundary is part of the training owners are advised to do by the radio fence manufacturers... perhaps that's what you saw the neighbour doing? Maybe?Either way, whether he's got the radio fence installed, or whether he's relying on the dog exercising enormous self-control, it's not an ideal set-up for you, though you're limited enough in what you can do about it from a legal viewpoint, as long as the dog remains on his own property 😔

That's what I feared. I don't have a car right now so it is my only way in to town where I normally exercise the dog on the bypass road.

I think I will have to risk it, my dog is a collie so needs a long walk every day. If the dog does come out hopefully it won't attack and then I can report it.

Advertisement