Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscrea Protests

Options
  • 22-01-2024 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know what people think on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

locals are right, you cant keep piling people into an area where services are already seriously stretched, it just wont work, the market simply wont spontaneously create the services required, thats just not how reality works!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I agree in principle with the protests. The town is overstretched and has taken in it's fair share of refugees. There's already not that many services in the town and there's very little housing or opportunities for the ones already there. I disagree with how they've gone about the protests though. The scenes when they brought in the bus of people were inexcusable. I can't imagine what the protesters thought would happen if they all lined up and faced off against the gardai? Sit in your horse box around your fire outside the hotel all you like, but there's no need to actually cause a scene when they bring in the refugees. It achieved nothing but more bad press for the town. Blame the hotel owners for offering the hotel in the first place, not the poor folks put in there.

However there is an undercurrent of racism there that's trying to be buried. Plenty of comments over the past few years on social media about 'foreigners' attacking local people or causing trouble in the town. And suggestions that it's bus loads of single men that they're bringing in instead of families which is what I actually think kicked off the entire protest thing. As if our own lads aren't as bad or worse. It's a problem in small town Ireland. Any change is bad, and the newcomers therefore must also be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Nobody has a problem until the problem is on their door step.... And they are 100% right to stand up for their town and what they have been landed with. It's the government that caused this mess and it's not just in Roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes I agree. If you don't stand up for your own patch, who will stand up for it?

Enough is enough. Ireland is full. Every week, there's new businesses going bust, people being evicted from rented accommodation.

Sort out our domestic mess first before trying to sort out our newcomers.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 49 1848

How about going back to the source of the problem - Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. We are lucky to have plenty of money due to corporation tax from multinationals. In Roscrea old buildings formerly associated with religious orders before Racket Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

The EU and their policies are the source of the problem....

Our government are being told "jump" they reply with "how high?"

That and the blatant greed of property owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

€5.1 million is the figure doing the rounds that the hotel got for this deal. There's also a mini bus available to bring the residents in and out of town if needed. This is due to fears of them being attacked/abused

Advertisement