Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rack Recommendations - for Road Bike

Options
  • 22-01-2024 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, looking for recommendations for a decent bike rack for a carbon road bike for a charity cycle I'm doing this year, looking for one to carry top bag and a pannier as well. I've bike packed with Restrap 18l saddle bag and top tube bag, these are good for 3-5 day trips, but for longer trips I'd be after something a bit more robust.

Someone in work pointed out to be careful with racks for a carbon bike as the wrong one could do damage if I go with the wrong one.

Looking into it myself, top hits seems to be Ortleib that come in at a decent prize and then Tail Fin, that I've had a few people recommend, but they are not cheap, one set-up with a top bag and one pannier came in at €775 😲

The trip is 8 weeks around the Irish coastline so definitely need a decent set-up so open to any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, does your carbon bike have rack mounting points?

Clearance for wide enough tyres to carry the extra load you need on the type of roads found on Irish coastlines?

The answers to those questions will guide the advice you'll get here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If your bike doesn’t have mounting points for a rack, tailfin with the axle mount is probably your best bet.

But just get the standard alloy version with the pannier mounts and use other brand bags, the tailfin bags are extortionate prices. The rack itself is 300 quid and then you can just strap a bag to the top of the rack, and use standard pannier bags on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wijam

@nilhg very good question, I’m looking at buying a new bike as an early birthday present for myself, so will look at the specs to check it out, although mind set on a Ridley at the moment

@Squidgy Black good thinking on the Tail Fin if that’s what I go for hadn’t thought of that option at all, makes things a lot cheaper if an option

Advertisement