Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router setup to throttle users

Options
  • 21-01-2024 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently with Imagine who have a 1TB limit at peak hours but after a 4K TV arrived along with a PS5 downloading games, we're consistently going over our limit. And before anyone says to download stuff at off peak hours, I've had this conversation with the teen multiple times to no avail.

Just wondering is there some clever router I can get a hold of that's better than what we currently have at:

(a) Tracking what devices are using the most data.

(b) Throttling whatever device/user is going a bit mad. Ideally automatically rather than having to check the fecking thing the whole time to keep an eye on things. Not sure if this means I'm going down the route or a custom router and programming it myself?

Currently the Imagine router resides in the attic and is connected to a Huawei B315 in the kitchen with Cat 5e. This is then connected to two different TP-Link adapters (AV600) at either end of the house.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You looking for some more advanced network device . Know for sure that Aruba Instant On AP's have throthling functionality, unify, some tp links perhaps. But that is wifi. If cable connected would be different story.

Wonder if some managed switches would do the trick per port config

Had power outage last night so only able to check this for you today.

Have GS105Ev2 – 5-Port Gigabit ProSAFE Plus Switch (managed little thing)

This (or likely any other manage switch) should get you sorted on Ethernet connected devices

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Seems like the best option smuggler thanks. Think picking up a managed switch is probably the play. In theory it would also cover me for limiting WiFi as I can just use one of the outputs for the input of the router and limit the port speed. Looking at a few netgear yolks and see they have Port Statistics when you go System -> Monitoring-> Port Statistics which report the bytes sent/received. Only problem is I'm not sure how often these numbers are reset. I see there's a "Clear Counters" button but not sure if there's a daily/weekly/monthly reset. Any chance you'd be able to give a look at it and let me know smuggler? Would just be very handy to have when Imagine send me an email saying we've exceeding our limit as I could go through the usage of each port to sus out who the offender is.

Thanks again 👌

Perhaps some more advanced switches could have more stat control option. On this one you reset counters manually- zero-ed on the click, no further prompts/actions. i never bothered to check before TBH.

Weird flow on my port 3 🤨 - this is PCIe card dedicated for VM and it only show DL traffic...

You do know that ISP counter wont match local so its "for guide only", do you.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Oh guide indeed is all I'm looking for just so that I'll know if the young fella has been downloading sh!t all day or if it's the Netflix on the TV we've to cut back on. I'm assuming the numbers are as low as they are as well because of your power cut resetting the counters so reckon I'll try to pick up a Netgear Smart Switch handy enough if I can. Thanks for all the assistance Smuggler

So went ahead and got a netgear GS308E managed switch.

I limited the ethernet cable to the TV to 16Mbits/s.

Then limited the ethernet cable that goes to the tp link powerline source/booster (which is connected to two other tp link adapters, one for my PC and one for the young fellas PS5) to 32Mbits/s.

When I'd do a speed test at my PC, I'd always get 32Mbits/s but the ping was a little all over the place if someone was watching Netflix/Disney+ on the 4k TV, from 30ms to 200ms and the young fella said the same with the PS5, however, if the Netflix was turned off, all was well with the world again.

Doesn't really make deadly sense to me and if anybody could point out what they think is wrong, it'd be greatly appreciated. ISP is Imagine with the internet coming in to the switch at about 80Mbits/s so don't think the issue is bandwidth at the source being insufficient. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Can I ask,

Are Imagine your only supplier available or were they just whom you picked?

well... i think that is normal once you apply the "load"

My ping with speed test running

Try yourself without TV

4k YT video run does not show significant drop however, just bit of fluctuation...

• Advertisement
Advertisement