Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodgers and AirBnb

Options
  • 21-01-2024 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Does the social welfare consider income from Airbnb and lodgers as employment? I know there is a tax free rent a room scheme from your own home but do they see it like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,416 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is income, means. Needs to be declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SourSessions

You can earn up to €14,000 a year but certain conditions have to be met, ie, has to be for a minimum of 28 days let (no short-term lets), cannot be to immediate family members, and if you get fuel allowance, they have to be eligible for it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭the O Reilly connection

I had a similar situation in the UK before when I was on their equivalent of jobseekers allowance. I rented a room on Airbnb and then I was cut off as this was regarded as an income. I guess it had to do with it being a short term let.

Advertisement