Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses to play while attending The Open

Options
  • 21-01-2024 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

I'm attending The Open in Troon in July. I'm thinking of taking the ferry and driving. I'd like to play a few courses while over there, around 2 or 3.

I'm looking for some recommendations of where to play and how to go about booking. I'm bringing my parents too if that makes any difference.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

I don't see a duplicate but sorry if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Turnbury, Western Gales, Prestwick are all within striking distance and great courses but you might need to bring your banker with you/

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I played Dundonald Links a few years ago. Genuinely top class track with a strong finish, but without feeling all that “linksy”. It’s a second course for members of Loch Lomond so tee times (then) were easy to get.

Also played Kilmarnock Barassie. It’s a mid tier course, often used for open qualifying. It’s fun and challenging but lacks the finesse and memorability of a top links.

you’d enjoy either, and they’re both neighbours of Troon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

@fungie i'd echo what bmay529 says here. These three would be on any list in that area, with the Ailsa course at Turnberry an absolute bucket list course(might struggle to get a teetime there now at this late stage i'd imagine). If you can't get out on the Ailsa then don't hesitate if you get a chance to play the Robert the Bruce course at Turnberry. As second courses go it's really really good. A lot of work done there in the last 10 years or so and now is a superb course in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Assuming you will be heading home down south, take a detour and play Ardglass, you won't regret it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement