Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tayto Crisp at 70

Options
  • 21-01-2024 5:01pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Irish snack staple and much-loved savoury treat, the humble pack of Tayto crisps is celebrating its 70th anniversary this year.

The Tayto cheese & onion crisp was launched back in 1954 by Dublin busisnessman Joe Murphy, who identified a gap in the market for home produced Irish crisps. In the early days of Tayto, there was also a cheese flavour pack of crisps available and both flavours were on sale in the shops at 2d (2 old pence). These were the very first flavoured crisps on the market anywhere.

It is believed that Tayto were the first ever cheese & onion crisps produced and they were an instant hit with the Irish public in grim 1950s Ireland where poverty and emigration was rife.

Tayto was first produced off Moore Street in Dublin 1, later moved to a factory in Harold's Cross and the rapid expansion of its sales led to a large purpose-built modern crisp factory opening in Coolock in 1968. In 1963, salt & vinegar crisps had been launched and smokey bacon followed in 1965. In the early 1970s, Snax and Chipsticks were also added to the Tayto product range.

The rest, as they say, is history...

I remember when it cost 10p to buy a pack of Tayto crisps in the early to mid 1980s. 😁

Anyone else over the years wonder why Tayto did not market its brand globally? 🤔

Its cheese & onion flavour is easily one of the best out there and pretty much all of my friends from abroad love Tayto cheese & onion when they come here to visit. My American friend thinks they are the best crisps she has ever tasted!

Happy 70th, Tayto. Here's to another 70 years! 🥳🥳

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

Advertisement