Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solutions to wifi problems?

Options
  • 21-01-2024 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

I moved back into my dads house recently and they have fibre to the home broadband with Sky. It consistently drops and they provided a booster box but it doesemt work.

Sky say the modem works fine but i was living in a house a few doors down and replacing the sky modem with a new modem fixed the issue. Sky dont want to send me new modem.

Possible solutions im thinking

1) get a long 15 metre ethernet cable and run it from Sky router to the Sky booster.

2) get a new third party modem

3) get wifi extenders, plug them in around the house and possibly run long ethernet cable if possible.

Any thoughts what might work best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Providing Ethernet part on ISP router functional as expected, consider dedicated WiFi solution and disable WiFi on sky box altogether. Fighting with sky is fine, but it only cause stress without permanent solution - WiFi is just to weak to reach outside the room where router located.

I would suggest dedicated, hard wired AP's as Aruba or Unify, but other have good results with wifi mesh systems widely available on the market for affordable* price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Thanks, what do you mean hard wired AP?

What is a wifi mesh system? I see some modems are wifi 6 mesh. Does the sky modem have this?

Sky just always advise there could be a neighbour on the same channel causing too much demand. However in my own house they advised the same, i tried manually changing channels which did nothing. Getting a replacement modem worked which makes me think the modem is the issue.

As i stated - as long its not connection to premises issue, it is WiFi problem whether on modem or your clients.

You named thread "Solutions to wifi problems?" - i gave you option that i know does work.

You still can persuade the sky for modem replacement and return to the same problem few weeks/months later - your stress and inconvenience after all.

hard wired AP - dedicated access point (AP) that is wired over CAT cable to the router/switch, it uses CAT wire as back-haul to avail for full bandwidth

just search online for WiFi mesh. I am not using and cant advise what to go for, multitude options there. Sure people here who are will come forward with suggestions

WiFi6 is one of the latest wireless communication tech(i am sure Wiki has page about it) you would need to see specs of your sky router. If you intend to go for dedicated WiFi system it will be listed on its specs and then it is irrelevant what sky device has, you wont be using it for WiFi anymore.

Mesh - multiple AP's configuration in the system that alow your mobile device to "roam" between AP seamlessly to get best signal at all time offering best performance and experience . It also might include several other features that allow adjust the system settings accounting for neighboring WiFi and other "radio noise" sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Thanks

Would the below be a good choice?

€175.00 on amazon with power supply included which i assume i need.

Watching some videos on mesh system which seem impressive and as we have an office In attic room might be a good choice.

Would i be correct in thinking that with mesh system ud plug ethernet cable from sky modem into mesh device?

However with the below it would fully replace sky router?

Any idea if it would work instantly once ethernet cable connected or would there be some adjustment I'd have to do in the settings.

I'm weary of getting anything too complex as I wouldn't be grestest with such technology.

AP22 is great unit. Few of them around property will provide good coverage. It will require some configuration, but instructions publicly available and even video on YT.

Be aware: these AP can only be powered over PoE(either PoE switch or PoE adapter is must) but you say its included.

If you have Ethernet ports in all desired rooms should not be a problem.

Please read as mutch about instructions/requirements before commit to purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Have a look at the tp link deco range.

Good solution and easy to setup if not too tech savvy.

Note: don't mix up Aruba instant vs Aruba instant ON - different products, not compatible.

Advertisement