Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Portugal Move

Options
  • 20-01-2024 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi there,

I’m hearing of more and more people moving to Portugal for 2 reasons:

1. Lower income tax (especially if you have a tech business)
    2. Zero CGT if you exit and are in Portugal for a number of years

I’m also hearing such mixed opinions on what is required to avail of the above… some people say it is 5 years in Portugal, others say 3 years… and as of today, I have heard it is now 1 year.

I’m not sure if I would ever really consider this, but I would like to know the facts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

There is anti avoidance legislation that says if you are non resident for tax purposes for less than 5 years, Irish CGT will be deemed to apply in the year of departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

You've missed the boat. Deadline date for the 'interesting' advantages has passed. The locals were getting fed up with the new influx driving up property prices .

Antway, the language is a b#gger to learn (far more difficult than e.g. Spanish) and who would want to live in an overpriced 'hacienda' on a golfcourse in a place like a sunny Ballinskelligs?

Advertisement