Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR 5G Maxing out at around 120MB

Options
  • 20-01-2024 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

I have eir 5G broadband. I have line of sight to the mast, about 500m away. Both the router and my iPhone 15 (also on eir) show 5 bars of 5G. However, the very highest download speeds I see are around 130MB - whereas my phone regularly sees 500MB+ in other 5G areas. In fact, switching to 4G sometimes gets a 4G+ signal which gives slightly higher download speeds. I have a modified 5G router with external ports and have tried Poynting external antennas too with marginal download speed benefits (although the ping and stability does improve with the external antennas)

Do eir have different classes of 5G implementation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Had similar results on 4G network with phone doing better than router.

From my research it looks like mobiles have better equipment onboard for receiving mobile signals that a standard router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What device eir provided you for MBB?

What model is the antenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 wiresandmore

It's a H155-381. I've also tried a TCL option too with similar results.

I don't know the exact Poynting antenna numbers but it's the 4-connector model for 4G and I have the separate 2 connector for 5G.

In the short term I can't use the antenna as it means leaving windows ajar to get the antenna outside, and well, it's cold!

I put the LTE-H Monitor onto my laptop this morning

Weirdly, the Comreg tool shows that the eir site doesn't have 5G (it would say NR, I think?) - so is that the issue? But if that's the case, how come it shows full signal on 5G?

Was it DIY mod?

Cellmapper doesn't show NR around this mast either.

Depending where you located from mast you might be obstructed and having antenna out on the roof/chimney could help. Your "mast" is mounted on three store building on the chimney

Also, try to force 4G UL band to B3(1800MHz) and see if it makes difference

For me 4G gives better DL and less UL 190/60 vs 150/80

No, this is from the unmodified Huawei router with built-in antennas. (The TCL was modified by RouterMods in the UK but not being used at present as I need to leave a window open to run the 6 cables and that’s not possible in winter…!)

So you suggest the upload and download bands should both be b3?

• Advertisement

Could it be receiving 5G from a different cell from 4G? Is that possible?

You can have B3 for both, however, i observer that if my UL is forced on B3 i have no CA (4G+), could be different for you.

Its fine with me as i still have my speeds, even @18:00 on Sat

I noticed, your DL state 2160MHz with b3 - that does not look right. B3 should be within 1805 – 1880 for DL, i think.

I believe technology exist, but not certain if it is avail/implemented in Ireland.

On other hand, ISPs rapidly upgrading and info on comreg or cellmapper might be dated regards 5G

Advertisement