Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japanese Import - How to guide needed!

Options
  • 20-01-2024 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I want to import from Japan but I'm struggling with finding out the import costs - VRT, Duty, Tax and so on.

For the statistical code, I do not have one, nor can I get one until I use the VRT Calculator - but my car is not on their system and so I must present the car for NCT - but I don't want to import the car only to find that they think the market price is HUGE = bigger VRT etc.

Plenty of traders importing here, over 1000 cars per week from Japan in to Dublin Port, so why is it so fecking difficult for someone who just wants to get the car of their dreams?

Is there anyone who has brought over a car and knows the best way of doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The best way for a one off, one time inport is to use an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

User1998 does this for a living I believe. Otherwise use JDM Auction Watch to do it on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

I would definitely recommend using JDM auction watch for a one off purchase, they include everything except for VRT, so you don’t need to calculate anything.

Do a bit of research on VRT and you’ll find the correct VRT rate. Multiply it by the OMSP and that’s roughly what you’ll pay in VRT.

Me personally I don’t buy anything thats not on the calculator. Been stung too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 saabnut

thanks for the comments.

I have actually bought a car with JDMAuctionWatch (turns out they are in my home town too!). I have so many questions though and I'm sure he'll get annoyed at me soon enough! lol

Advertisement