Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens After Driving Ban

Options
  • 19-01-2024 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

I am looking out for some advice.

I have been disqualified for driving for the last 2 years.

I have recently found out that I should have gave my licence to RSA, but haven't received any letter about it. It was during the Covid time.

My question is can I just have the insurance and start driving?

Do I need to get a permission or anything from somewhere to drive the car?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 denge_azadi

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Speak to a garda , definitely don't drive

You should have appealed a year ago and got it back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi everyone,

One of my friend need serious advice.

My friend has recently been disqualified for 2 years and fine €450 for having no insurance. He did appeal, but the judge has ignored all documents and special circumstances. My friend has no previous conviction, penalty points or any criminal records.

He is working from home and taking her daughter to creche 5 days a week and brings her back while he is working. He does it with his car. So, he can turn back to home quickly and continue working.

Next year, his daughter will be starting to primary school and his son will be in creche. Primary school and creches are in different areas and no idea which one will be accepting kids. As a result of this it is going to take more time to take them to primary school and creche next year and after comparing this academic year.

Also, both kids are in the waiting list for Children's Disability Service. Waiting more around 1.5 years in the waiting list. So, on top of that mentioned above, my friend needs to take both of his kids for treatment, education, assessment for a period of time once it is their turn in the waiting list. He was thinking to take both kids for treatment by his car.

He is suffering from sciatica since many years and he can't manage without his car (Taking kids to creche, disability service, hospital appointments, shopping, etc while working).

His wife has no driving licence and also suffering heavy varicose vein disease on both of her legs. Walking and standing on cold weather makes her health condition very difficult.

My friend provided document from GP about his sciatica, documents received from Children's Disability Service, document from creche (that he is taking her child to creche all the time).

Also, he will be moving out of Dublin to reduce rental cost by end of January as the rental agreement will end and more likely will turn to office for work in the first quarter.

He is done the insurance around 1 hour after Gardai stopped him and there was around 13 days gap without insurance. He said that he did unintentionally drove the car without insurance. Same day (2 hours after Gardai stopped) his parents were arriving to Ireland from abroad and he just wanted to get some vegetables from city centre (15 minutes away from home) after pregnant wife asked for small shopping.

He forgot to renew the insurance as having small memory issue (Due to heavy work load, hard training at work, long travel to work, sleepless nights as the wife is 8.5 months pregnant and hyperactive daughter with some complications/issue.

However, judge has ignored everything from the beginning about all the circumstances. Judge said that he can use bus or Luas for everything. Ignored everything he or the barrister said. Also, added that all things mentioned above are not special circumstances.

So, considering all this, he will be in a very difficult situation. To be honest actually I am shocked that judge.

Myself and many other friends hear with our own ears and saw with our own eyes that many times judges have avoided giving disqualification for so many people that had same or similar situation as my friend.

Is it possible for him to appeal once again or there is no chance of removing the disqualification?

I would be delightful if you could advice on this.

Thank you.

Maybe you should has your friend, 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was actually in court once and heard a story just like this , then the judge asked about his previous, 127 charges 😀😀

Advertisement