Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla modules: JK BMS or SIMP BMS

Options
  • 19-01-2024 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting some Tesla Model S / X gen 3 battery modules, 5.3kWh each, 6S74P (444 cells) and thinking of building a powerwall with them. I will use some of them in parallel (depending on how many I can get) and 2 in series, for a 48V setup (fully charged 50V, discharged 40V - this is fine with my Sunsynk hybrid inverter)

I plan to replace my CALB setup with these over time. Initially I will need at least 8 of them. Might start with 10. Could later expand to maybe 12, 14 or even 16 if more of these Tesla modules come my way for reasonable money

These modules come with Tesla proprietary BMS slave boards. You can remove these and these tap boards:

And then you can read out temps and cell voltages and connect to a BMS of your choice. I.e. for 8 Tesla modules you could just buy 2 * JK BMS that can handle 24S, roughly €100 each. Plus 8 of those boards, so about €500 in total, but €700 of 10 modules, etc. Has BT and a very good phone app, and with some extra hardware can connect to Home Assistant and control inverter via CAN. Millions of these sold, it's de-facto the world standard for cheap BMS, I know them well myself, lots of support around from others

OR

You can go for a SIMP BMS. This BMS can talk directly to the native Tesla BMS slave boards and a single BMS can handle up to 96 of these Tesla modules. It's not a simple BMS to setup though and it is not cheap, the BMS is €494 + taxes + shipping and taxes and I think the harnasses connecting to the Tesla modules are extra, so about €1000 in total for 10 modules and only slightly more for more modules. Has BT, but no phone app and not sure about Home Assistant, but it can conrol converter via CAN. This seems on paper like an ideal setup, but I doubt many more than 1000 have sold world wide of these, so community support will be tricky. Also rather technical to get it going, and need to make up quite a number of cables yourself if you can't find someone to make them for you. It also needs a Teensy development board. I have no experience of these. And they seem to be sold out everywhere. The manual for the SIMP BMS is here:

SIMP BMS can also control EV on board charging, so it is very suitable for EV conversions using OEM batteries like Teslas, BMW, VW, etc. I don't plan to use it for that, just for home power wall.

BTW my setup is in my garden room / shed so not anywhere near the house. And I do appreciate that LiFePO4 is inherently safe, no matter what happens and lithium ion is not.

What would the good people of Renewable Energies do?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Seems the JK is the way to go with it, with 1 jk for each pair of packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some of the JK go up to 24S, so in principle I could use 1 JK BMS for 4 packs I think?

No, The Pack isnt in 24S, Its in 12s74p (for the voltage for the inverter) and then they are paralleled,

Yes I know. The pack would be 12S overall, say brick 1 + 2, but could I not trick cells 13 to 24 (brick 3 + 4) to think it's part of the same pack for BMS reasons?

If not I will need a BMS for every 2 bricks. But I could get away with the cheaper ones with lower amperage and balance currents. There wouldn't be any overall communication with the inverter though, it would be a standalone relation, with the inverter deciding. Unlike the SIMP BMS route, that would have CAN comms with inverter

I could of course use my current JK BMS as the "Master" on one of the parallel layered brick pairs and let that do the comms with the inverter...

No, as cell 12 isn't connected to cell 13, technically cell 13 would be connected to cell 1 as it's in parallel.

The current measurement wouldnt work either, even if the BMS survives!

The other one seems much more expensive than the JK.

Is there any active balancing on the SIMP?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Less of the "brick", don't want to be tempting fate 🤐

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

It's just cells, no smarts in there once the OEM BMS slave(1) is removed 😁

I've decided to go the JK BMS route, getting 10 Tesla modules. Will use my existing JK BMS as the "Master" BMS on 2 modules to control my Sunsynk inverter. Will order 4 more cheaper smart JK BMS this evening as "Slave" BMS to protect and balance the other 8 modules. Will also ASAP order 8 more replacement tap boards (I had 2 on the way already)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jasgrif11

I can't wait to hear how it all pans out. You're leading the way in trying something different and unique. Will this run in parallel to your existing battery or will you replace that?

Replace it!

4 * JK BMS 8-20S 100A continuous, 0.6A balancing smart BMS with RS485 / BT ordered. Total an incredibly low €193 landed

Asked around on relevant EV conversion forums if anyone has the 8 BMS slave replacement boards I still need, if not I will have to bite the bullet and order from evshop.eu for €310 incl taxes and shipment - ouch! Might recuperate a good bit of that by selling most of the Tesla BMS slave boards. Want to keep 1 or 2 myself, just in case my own Tesla needs a new battery module after the warranty expires in June of next year!

• Advertisement

I ran a little test run earlier this evening with 6 Tesla modules. Elon was powering my house 😂

Looks like they are standard 7 pin and 5 pin JST connectors coming from the ribbon cables on the Tesla gen 3 slab. That is great news, why on earth would anyone still buy those tap boards? Those JST connectors are dirt cheap. Had some lying around from a previous project where I was salvaging Valence 19V batteries out of the Red Arrow (6S LiFePO4)

Onto my spare JK BMS (4S-8S) and balancing. The minimum voltage delta to start balancing is 3mV. It only just about made that 😁

And the master pair of batteries connected to my main JK BMS. Got all the connections / wires right first go 😂

Got more packs from that original 2015 Model S 70D this evening, have 12 now. Would love to get the remaining 2 packs from a friend of the guy I got them from. We are working on it.

Will install the lot on a heavy duty trolley in the next few days. Have a load of JK BMS on its way to me. Each pair of modules will have its own JK BMS

Post edited by unkel on

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jasgrif11

When compared to the Eve or Calb how much space do these cells take up? Is the average cell voltage higher with these.

Great to see it all working.

The energy density is super high in these. So the space they take up is tiny compared to the CALBs. I wasn't helping myself though by having the CALBs on one single level (so I could access any easily). The whole Tesla pack should fit on a heavy duty trolley, hoping to get one this evening and then build the battery later / tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fantana2

So will you be selling your CALBs? How many kWh was that?

6.96kwp South facing

Advertisement