Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do these old tropes come from?

Options
  • 19-01-2024 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

Just as you think Ireland has changed.

In a very random conversation about a newish housing development where the average cost of a house would have been around 700k, a person said they are all swapping partners all over the place up there! 'so and so told me it is a well-known fact.

I have been hearing this trope for decades and it is either some estate of expensive houses or it is ex-pats in the UAE or in some council estate in other words it is either the lower orders or those who can afford 700k for a 3-bed semi.

so why are tropes like that so persistent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hopefully there's someone on here who lived in a council estate, then moved to the UAE, made a few bob, and now lives in a 700,000 3 bed semi who will have all the answers, and it's a plus if there golf club members also, they were always key's in a bowl type's

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the estate full of pampas grass in the gardens and decorative pineapples in the windows / on gateposts?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Baba Yaga

oh its true...must be because i heard from a friend of a friend of the mrs whos a hairdresser and she heard it from the husband of this guy whos best mates mate heard it from this other dude that works in headquarters in the phoenix park in the building,the one with that lift in it that only goes down who swears that all those estates are under surveilence by you know who...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi

Seabury in Malahide was called Geebury soon after it was built: lived there and there was a certain cohort of the keys in slit mob

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A salient point in my tale is that the person saying this has purchased a house for a lot less than 700k about 10km away in a less 'prestigious area.

My best guess is that its a very Irish way of putting someone down and that's why it persists.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I heard that it has progressed from the old days of wife swapping. Now unmarried people who live together, and even singles are at it. And cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’d imagine the realities of swinging are different than the fantasy.

Some big hairy lad pulling himself off at the end of the bed while saying to his wife “is he giving you a good ride Maura”?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

North county Dublin has always had a “reputation” for swapping and swinging.

I remember being in some grotty bar out in Lusk or Rush, one of those odd places. Could have been Loughshinny, but you get the idea.

Anyway, there was one long table with a number of very loud women and fubsy lads with open shirts, gold chains, a couple of balding heads with ponytails, lots of rings. They played “musical chairs” all evening and, by the end of the night, they were cheek to cheek dancing in the middle of the pub.

Can’t say for sure if they were swingers but would have put money on it, if anyone was giving odds. The only interaction I, personally, had with them was when a couple of the women tried to get me to dance and when one of the lads, a squat stocky chap, looked me up and down and growled ‘you’re a big ****, aren’t ya?’. I laughed, somewhat nervously, and replied ‘yeah, but I’m alright when you get to know me’. He laughed at that and told me I was alright, then went back dancing to the table.

Not sure if “that sort of thing” goes on on the south side to the same degree but, I guess, being somewhat, remote, and very far away from the city, can lead to such “carry on”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

On a bit of a tangent, I've always wondered about the persistence of racist rhymes. When I was a young primary school kid there was a plethora of these racist rhymes that I knew by heart. I hadn't a clue about their content or even the concept of racism. But nonetheless I was able to rattle of these highly offensive chants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Prestigious? Prejudiced?

I'm not what sure what you mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

I was going to say myth but I wanted to sound a bit more like an antrpologisist. :)

Advertisement