Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landowner permission or gun club membership?

Options
  • 19-01-2024 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm just in the process of applying for my gun licence and not sure if I'm taking this up right, but if I join a gun club do I still need the permission of 2 landowners or does this do away with this requirement or are both needed?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alex90

One or the other will do

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Freight bandit

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hello,

Something to think about - will you ever want to hunt?

If the answer is yes, get landowners permission(s) now, and include them, if at all possible.

Otherwise, you run the risk of a condition being imposed that the firearm must be kept at the club that you join, for example. That then restricts you, unless you later make a seperate request of the Gardai, to be permitted to take the firearm out of the club, to go to X other location etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CharlieR

I joined the gun club got the license and it was straight forward. Using the range also helps with the renewal of your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Glad to hear it, but in essence, additional conditions are at the descretion of the local FO or Super, so there's no guarantee that the next ten people will be treated the same way, particularly if they are in different parts of the country.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CharlieR

From the gun shops I dealt with before getting my licence, they all said that if you join the club you should be granted your licence, and when I joined the club they said, provided you use the facilities, which have helped my shooting skills, then your renewal should they ask about you should not be a problem.

I can always go and hunt on friends land and go deer hunting with my cousin now I have my licence, but knowing how difficult the Super where I got my licence from is, I would say you have a better chance with a gun club.

Also, you could then head up to the Midlands shooting grounds for competitions to try out your new rifles at longer ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I think you might be mixing up Gun Club (range) with Gun club (parish).... if you applied for the use of the firearm on a range then you could be restricted to using it just on the range, but what if you want to enter competitions and want to take it to another range?

But I think in reality the OP is probably taking about the the psrish type of Gun Club.... or the more modern 'game preservation society' 😂🤣😂🤣

Anyways I thought it was 'illegal' to put restrictions like that on a firearm, you can use a firearm anywhere you have permission and it is legal to use, thats what you got the licence for in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The example above is accurate. If a license was granted for range use, it could be restricted to range use. If you then got permission to hunt on a friend’s land, it would not legal to just head out.

But, the restriction would have to be formally stated. It’s not automatic based on what you applied for.

Advertisement