Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1950 house - wiring

Options
  • 19-01-2024 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi All, looking to buy a house, the estate that I’m looking at is built around 1950. I couldn’t help but notice excessive amount of wires hanging from every direction every which way. The one Im curious about are those in the pic, connecting neighbouring houses. For the purpose of wrap around insulation but also not being tied to a neighbouring house, what are those and how many can be removed or ran underground?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭frank730

this is common in older estates, overhead esb cable comes to my house directly from pole then goes to neighbours, 1 cable provides power to 2 houses. for external insulation, you can request them to turn off power to move the cable to temp location, then move it back once insulation is done. this means your neighbours will also lose power during the duration, normally 2hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Thanks! The neighbours have wires running directly from the pole to their house as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It’s a poor quality pic so hard to judge but looks like, esb, virgin between houses and eir on the extra small one or the house. Common on older houses and you won’t be running any of them underground, or generally removing them. One if those looks almost like a shared feed from sat dish on One house to both houses, you could get rid of that one alright.

if you grab the street view of the poles they are coming off you can work it out easily enough.

Advertisement