Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade offers worthwhile at all?

Options
  • 19-01-2024 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭

Have come to the end of a 2 year contract and while not immediately looking for a new phone, I usually take a look to see what kind of offers there are available. If for nothing else to drop to a sim only plan.

I'm with Three but my god, it seems like having an "upgrade" available on your account actually penalizes buyers? Prices went up on most phones when I checked.

I really miss carphone warehouse at this point where you got a clear comparison on deals etc.

Am I missing something with the upgrade approach or is this known to be useless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you can stump up for a new phone, I wouldnt get back into a contract. Much much better deals on Amazon, Gomibo, even Aliexpress for new phones. GSM Arena will give you an idea of current pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This 100%. If you take the new Galaxy S24+ on eir. Their cheapest plan is €39.99p/m for 24 months with an upfront payment of €549. Over the 2 years, the phone would cost you €1,508.76.

If you go to the Samsung website you can pick up the S24+ for €843.10 with the current 10% discount and trading in a non-working phone. Couple this with the €19.99pm sim only plan from eir and the phone costs you €1,322.86 over the 24 months. The phone is also unlocked so you can move providers as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Have to agree with this. This is the reason I have never ever gotten a phone on a monthly contract. They offer the phone itself at a lower price to make it look more enticing, but in the long run you end up paying a lot more than if you just bought the phone outright and got a sim only plan. I'm with 48 and pay just €7.99 a month for unlimited calls and 100GB data, of which I use maybe 5GB a month since there's WiFi everywhere. That deal is no longer available but I believe they have a similar plan for €12.99 a month now, which is still a bargain. I'm fully aware not everyone can afford to purchase a phone at full price, but if you have the means I would absolutely recommend doing it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It’s not that bad though like 180 dearer over two years , or fork out 840 now. Tesco mobile can have some very good bill pay phone deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yeah its stumping up the up-front cash I have a problem with. Normally the phones I get on a 2 year deal are under 150 for the phone and then the 2 year deal goes ahead as normal. But then again, I'm happy to buy phones that aren't the latest and greatest so maybe buying the phones outright that are a bit older is the way forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah I tend to buy older models at about 400 eu outright, really get close to top specs these days for 400 quid, 2 years and then replace. On gomo then for 15 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I agree the initial outlay is high, but in this day in age, 140 in my pocket is better than eir/3/Vodafone.

Samsung in the UK offer 24 months interest free finance on their phones and you can trade in at any stage, be nice if they offered it here but they don't even run their own shop here so I won't hold my breath 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I'm in the same position, was with vodafone and I don't have the cash available after Christmas to buy the s24 plus outright. I moved to gomo for 15 a month and will get a year or two year loan of 1k from the bank. Works out way cheaper over all.

Advertisement