Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The phrase "check side" when it appear?

Options
  • 18-01-2024 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭

I happened to watch Jimmy White's 147 in the 1992 WC recently. Besides forgetting how good the break was. I noticed that John Virgo when on commentary just mentioned "side" as did the other commentator.

But then I realised how nowadays the mention checkside/check all the time seems. None of the lads in commentary mentioned check/checkside once back in Jimmy's break in 1992. It got me thinking when did phrase 'check'/'checkside' first appear in the common snooker jargon among commentators and pundits?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not sure from your OP if you know what check side is, appologies if that is not the case.

"Check" side is side the makes the cue ball bounce at a more acute angle off the custion that it naturally would. "Running" side is side that makes the cue ball widen of the cusion than it naturally would, the opposite effect to check side.

Both of them could just be referred to as 'side', without being more specific.

Jimmy might not have played any shot with check side in his 147 break.

Check side has always been used as far back as I can recall.

In US Pool side is called "English", but I don't know if what they call check and running side.

Advertisement