Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I see usage on smart meter without a smart plan

Options
  • 18-01-2024 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi I've had a smart meter installed. Do I need to subscribe to a smart plan to see which appliances are using most power.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can view your usage in 30 minute intervals on ESB Networks site once you register an account with your MPRN, even without signing up to smart plan.

A smart meter can't tell which appliance is using most power.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise the smart meter can't tell how much power an appliance is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A smart meter measures the total consumption of your household. I've heard ads on the radio suggesting that being on a smart plan will help you analyze which appliances are using the most power but I have no idea how they can do this. For plugin appliances, you can buy a smart plug and in the case of devices like a chest freezer, you can leave it connected via the smart plug for 2 or 3 days to track it's consumption. But for directly wired appliances like the oven or the immersion, I have no idea how you can track consumption.

If you're buying a smart plug, make sure that the specs say it can measure consumption, the more basic models cannot do this. The Tapo 110 is probably the cheapest model that can do it, Tapo 100 can not.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Thanks for the replies appreciate them. I'll check out those smart plugs 👍

Advertisement