Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT no documents

Options
  • 17-01-2024 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a 1993 pajero that has just recently come out of the uk. It’s a 7 seater private car on v5. I’m aware of the vat and flat rate of €200.

Im the 2nd owner in Ireland and have no documentation proving the car cost and shipping fees. Car was paid for in cash and drove over on the ferry from Scotland into Northern Ireland.

Whats the situation with documents needed to present to VRT if I haven’t got them.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Your main issue is with VAT and duty - not VRT. You need the ferry ticket to prove it entered the state, or NI to avoid penalties. If you can't provide the purchase receipt and proof of payment its possible that revenue will determine the value of the jeep themselves and charge you 23% of that figure. You can supply a hand written receipt for this - but they ask for proof of payment - like a bank transfer statement which you don't have. Ring a customs clearance agent like bell.ie and they'll guide you through it.

Once thats sorted, you can then go to the VRT centre. Once you have the V5 you're generally ok - they need the customs clearance number and they'll likely accept a hand written receipt for the jeep too. They're not charging you anything based on the cost of the vehicle, unlike the VAT clearance, so they're less concerned with what you paid for it - especially since its on a flat rate.

Advertisement