Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of claim on renewal

Options
  • 17-01-2024 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Wife reversed into a hedge and damaged her car (2021 est value €30K). Bumper to be replaced. Expect it to cost €1000-€1200 ( new bumper, spray paint and labour)

She has 14 years no claims history with 50% NCB ( step back protection only - something I need to have words about) premium was €500 (round numbers)

Excess is €250

Called insurance company to try and gauge impact of claiming to her premium, and couldn't really get clear answer. Best we got was she would move back to 30% no claims bonus ( set back 3 years no claims history)

There is a reasonable simple equation I made: Current premium without NCB is €1000 ( as she pays €500 with 50% NCB). Next years premium will be €700 ( 30% NCB), following year €600 (40% NCB). So total cost would €250 excess + €200 +€100 (impact of lower NCB for 2 years) = €450.

I am afraid though that life is not that simple and from reading some stories it seems you can actually be punished twice for a claim : Reduced NCB on top of higher base premium due to a higher risk profile. Insurance company's vague answers don't inspire any confidence either.

Never had to claim so no idea what to expect. Anyone with experience that could "correct" my equation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your premium will increase because you've been involved in an RTC, so you are now a higher risk. You loose whatever NCB you don't have protected, protected NCB only counts at the company where you have it at every other company you have 0 NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A tiny claim like that shouldn't have a massive effect.

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is the bumper wrecked? Other options might be repair to existing bumper or try get a second hand one from a scrap yard.

For the amount your talking I wouldn't claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your maths are roughly correct. insurers only increase the base rate if the circumstances of the claim reveal adverse risk criteria. A simple ding won't concern them

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

• Advertisement

It is kind of wrecked yes, will post a pic later when I get a minute. I suspect not many around 2nd hand and cost of the bumper is only half the cost ( spray paint and labour more than other half)

I guess the hedge has some hidden treasures in it, or the Kuga bumper doesn't bump very well..

So why would she not claim at a cost of ~€500 (if my maths is roughly correct) but instead pay €1000-1200 ? Not sure I understand that sentiment.

If that was my car, Id look for an exact colour replacement from a breaker car. Rear end is often easier to get hold of.

You would have a factory painted original bumper and the cost would mean you wouldn't even need to bother with insurance.

If going for a painted new bumper, probably worth going insurance route.

I would probably agree but I can imagine it won't be easy to find the exact bumper (from this particular model of Kuga in this color). I remember many years ago trying to find a replacement item in breaker's yards and I spent hour and hours and got nothing. Not sure if there is some database out there where you can find stuff, but I don't think I want to go hunting down breaker's yards at the other end of the country and picking it up finding out it is the wrong year or so..

• Advertisement

It's an St line kuga 21 onwards. Probably plenty to be had but I know, not for everyone.

I'd be fitting myself too so it makes the used one a no brained in my own case.

Ford might not be silly money either for new part.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

One reason you might want to pay it directly is because if other insures give a better price you need to declare the claim to other insurers. Some are three years others are 5 years.

My car was damaged in 2013 and I put in a claim of 2,800 euro. Someone reversed into my car and drove off. I had full NCB protected and my base premium increased by 1/3 of the 2,800 for the three years. So while my NCB was protected I still ended up paying back probably 1100 euro of the claim over three years.

Personally take it on the chin, because I found declaring I had a claim on the policy was a real set back trying to change providers.

Advertisement