Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023/2024 Cost of building a Slatted Shed (Organics/Normal)

Options
  • 17-01-2024 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Be grateful if anyone who has built a slatted shed recently could give a guidelines as to cost. Either 3-bay or 5-bay and it can be to TAMS spec or not, I'm eligible for TAMS but some people have advised it can be cheaper to build a non-TAMS spec one. Also, looking into organics in the future so if anyone has done specifically organics spces sheds either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Jack C

I would think if your eligible for the 60% grant then definitely go with Tams. Even with the 40% , although you could save with slightly lower spec steel in the shed, maybe half the re-bar in the tank and less concrete here and there, and still have a decent job done... I still think you'd be slightly better off with Tams.

I was looking at doing a 4 bay(20fts) slatted shed with 18 ft covered feed passage with a bit of concrete outside and reckon it'll be costed around €88k plus vat. Doing most of work myself plus 40% grant should leave it well less than half that.

I see Tams 3 closes April 12 so there wouldn't time to get planning permission. Will there be another tranche or a Tams 4.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's very hard to get builders or tradesmen to give you a price, but this is the one job that might save you thousands of Euro.

I got two quotes for a slurry storage tank and there's nearly €6k in the difference between the two. I've seen the work of the lad who gave the lower price and spoke to people who he did work for, and I've no concerns about his work. The more expensive lad is also very well regarded, but is generally considered to be at the higher end of prices.

Don't cut corners but do spend time chasing lads for quotes.

Lastly, going down the TAMS route will delay the start of the work by at least 12 months by the time you've planning permission sorted and TAMS application/approval. If you're in no rush, then TAMS is probably a good fit. But it's not if you need to get the shed done sooner rather than later.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Don't want to hijack another someone else's thread but I too would be interested in average cost of a cattle shed.

I'm understocked because everything is out in winter.

As the farm is in the better half's name she is hoping to qualify for the 60% women in agriculture grants.

My question is, if I was to do all the labour myself, including all groundwork and concreting hanging of gates, feed barriers etc is it potentially possible to make up the 40%(or close to it) with my own/family labour. I am hoping not to have to do the steel erection myself but if I had to I could.

I'd be talking about 3 bays open on one side with no slats just bedded concrete floor + effluent tank and possibly dung stead. It would be for cattle only not cows so no need for creep area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What are the dimensions? We did something similar 20 years ago without a grant. Got the readymix laid by the supplier. Bought 40 ft lengths of 8x4 inches H iron and did all the welding ourselves.

Put a good slope on the floor is my advice. Sorry no idea on how the 40:60 is going to work out. We just painted pillars, to get grant AFAIK they have to be galvanised. Have a good read of the specs, but I don’t think grant rates have kept pace with recent material costs. Price roofing and steel and see how it compares to grant specs would probably be a good place to start.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What's ready mix price for the standard mix?

Heard 160 a metre including a price rise that had just come or will come any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

€132 + VAT from Grogan's Ballyhaunis four weeks ago. Heard since that there was more going on to it again but not sure.

Advertisement