Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Lurcher outside?

Options
  • 16-01-2024 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

We rescued a lurcher last year - lovely quiet dog - very gentle and has never destroyed anything in the house.

Between myself and my husband - since we got her, there has nearly always been someone working from home, so he has always had company.

Next week - I am away for a day or so, and other half has to go into the office. My husband thinks we can put him outside for 3-4 hours a day ( he can do half days) - but I think its too cold. He has been left alone outside during the summer and sleeps away in his house, and the very odd time has been left in the house while we are out - max 1 hour.

We have no family nearby and all our neighbours work outside the home.

Any thoughts? Ok to leave him outside for 3-4 hours? or would he be best inside. He has become more of a house dog - but loves company.

Just want what is less stressful for him!

RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Too cold at the moment imo. Leave him inside. Warmer weather might be different. Why does your husband want the dog outside rather than in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rescueme

He thinks he will stress more if inside, because we arent around...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

It's literally freezing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rescueme

Any recommendations to reduce anxiety while we are gone? I'm thinking he has to be inside - he has never destroyed anything to date - but hope he wont start...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

He'll be fine inside for half a day. Very cold outside at the moment for a Lurcher and he'll be less stressed inside. You say he's quiet and never destroyed anything in the house. All good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's warmer next week, but wet, no harm in him being out for a few hours, especially if he has shelter available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Realistically, this situation is going to happen again haha. Just leave him with access to one or two rooms and take out anything valuable , problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

You really should have already trialled leaving them at home alone for longer than 1hr. Crazy you are only now considering this. Lurchers are perfectly fine to leave a home for a number of hours, they are couch potatoes.

Really really bizarre to suddenly think leaving them outside is less likely to produce anxiety, surely its the exact opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Get a new husband.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I think a lurcher who has become accustomed to indoor comforts might find it a bit miserable outside in this very cold weather. They don't have much to insulate them. Here's what I would advise. Between now and next week make sure you're both out of the house at some point every day so he's left alone for short periods. Depart with the minimum of fuss but don't sneak out. "Bye Buddy, back soon!" He'll quickly learn that you're coming home soon and he has nothing to worry about. Rescues can be very clingy, that's true, but once he knows that he hasn't been abandoned he will relax completely.

On the days when he'll be left in the house for longer periods bring him for a walk first then head out with minimum fuss.

I have found that anxious dogs relax more quickly if they're not confined to one room of the house. I would suggest that, depending on how housetrained he is, you should give him access to as much of his familiar territory as you can.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

The dog is used to being in the house, very unfair to leave him outside…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

We also have a sight hound (clingy one) and she’s mostly with us all the time, but on a few occasions she has to be on her own for a full morning. I leave the radio on, RTE lyric or Classic FM (constantly on anyways) as it’s soothing, all her toys, day bed, water and access up to the windows to see out.

Very smart, sight hounds - tell him you’re going out and will be back soon. I rattle the car keys so she knows I’m off - to be honest, she’s mostly relieved I’m not taking her, she’s not fussed on the car. Anyway, we’ve never had an issue leaving her and she’s awful clingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

But your comment is insane. Get a new husband ? Cos he wants to put the dog out for 3 hours. Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'd leave him inside. Leave the telly or radio on for noise, maybe any item of your clothing wrapped in a hot water bottle if you think he'll be stressed without you. Put some food in a Kong and freeze it the night before and leave that with him, make sure he's hungry so the Kong will keep his interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Leave him inside and leave the radio or TV on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

We leave our Lab out. I went a bit over board though. I put her bed into the wooden shed we have as she wouldnt use her kennel. I bought a motion sensor camera and a heat lamp. Also bought a WiFi plug. I get a notification to my phone when she's in her bed and I can remotely turn on the heat lamp fom anywhere..sleeps belly up to the heat lamp lol

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Leave him inside with the TV or radio on.

Bring him for a long walk before ye leave to tire him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Day Care facilities nearby ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If he has a house/shelter outside then he’ll be grand. Just make that as comfy as possible for the time he’s in that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lbunnae,

I suspect that poster was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Nevertheless, please remember about the posting standard required in this forum, that posters are required to be respectful of one another.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Leave him inside. Tbh if he hasn't gotten up to mischief by now I don't think he's going to suddenly start.

We've a 2 yo springer who is absolutely bonkers yet after going outside first thing is perfectly happy to snooze on the sofa for an hour or two if needed. She usually has a Chewie to nibble on and dozes away til I'm back.

I definitely wouldn't leave our girl outside even if our garden was spaniel proof, which it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Leave him inside and get him a kong, and fill it with frozen treats. It will keep him occupied for hours.

TV or radio on low, as well.

Advertisement