Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Proxy Server ?

Options
  • 16-01-2024 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Im currently in college and im fairly new to networking, when in college a lot of sites are blocked on the network annoyingly even stuff we need for research. I have a home server (Lenovo ThinkStation p510) running windows server 2019 its used mainly as a Plex server and NAS but i want to expand its uses as i progress in college. So im wondering if i can set it up as a proxy server to route my traffic through while in college. Normally i can find walkthroughs for stuff like this but im hitting a wall with this one, most i see either use linux machines or or seem to be pushing a free piece of software. I know i can make this easy and pay for a proxy but im more so looking for the experience of setting it up. Id appreciate it if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Your college would probably be monitoring for illegitimate proxy traffic and you'd end up getting a telling off at best or your account restricted.

Log a ticket with the IT Dept and ask for the sites to be allowed as they are required for your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As long as it's legal, an ssh tunnel will do this.

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/ssh-tunneling-and-proxying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you are getting blocked simply browsing the internet, can't see you being able to configure a proxy server, on your own device or on the college ones.

As above, I'd get on to the college IT dept, their policy seems overly restrictive.

Failing that, cheap data plan + tether to your phone.

Linux would a nice piece to learn in college, even starting off with a VM on your home server.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Oh yeah, and you'd need to setup the turn from SSH on the local PC:

I've had to use this to access customer's equipment when they have firewalled the DC.

Advertisement