Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching

Options
  • 16-01-2024 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hoping to go back to college and become a primary school teacher (male, early 30s with a background in consultancy). I have an undergrad degree but didn't do H Irish for my LC.

From my understanding it will take me 3 years to do this, first year getting a qualification in Irish so I'm eligible to apply, followed by 2 years PME.

I think I would be more suited to primary than secondary but also think I may be looking at this with rose tinted glasses and slightly naive as I haven't been in a primary school since I attended one!

Do the teachers here enjoy it/recommend it? Or is it similar to what some secondary teachers are saying in it's a less enjoyable career than it was years ago now with more paperwork/technology/etc with a lot saying on discussion groups here that they would not recommend a career in teaching

Opinions and suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Try and get a stint of observation in a primary school before you embark on a three year journey. Schools have changed hugely in recent years. Not just since you attended but in the past 8-10 years. It’s not a walk out the door at 3pm job anymore. Planning, corrections, liaising with parents or outside agencies, staff meetings, team teaching planning, team training, prepping resources, Bom meetings, sacramental preparation meetings, majority of cpd (webinars), parent teacher meetings all take place outside contact hours.

It’s become a lot more demanding in recent years. Children’s needs and parent expectations have changed.

The wages are ok (I’m 20 years in it at this stage though) if you are in a permanent job and not trying to rent in Dublin. Availability of work will depend on your location.

Research it well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Great advice by afkasufjunkie. It's not the "handy number" many think it is. Yes, the holidays are a big perk, but the changes to terms and conditions have been enormous. Newly qualified primary teachers will probably pay more into their pensions than they will ever get back.

I'm primary and wouldn't enjoy secondary at all (bar stints teaching in Irish colleges years ago) Most secondary teachers I know wouldn't dream of teaching primary. You really do need to go into it with your eyes wide open. It's not a job where you can "wing it." Every day is different and some are more difficult that you could ever imagine. But if you see a child master something, however "simple" you have taught them , it's the best job in the world (at least until you have to do more paperwork etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

SIL did this, primary teacher, delighted with himself. Then it really suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TP4725

Publicly available from the Dept of Education

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/84856-salary-scales/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Common payscale, same one for primary and second-level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Register with the teaching council and you can teach for 3 years with a degree in anything, check it out and see if you like it.

Advertisement