Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus transatlantic - didn't book seat - do they assign seat during check in 24 hours prior?

Options
  • 16-01-2024 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭

Aer Lingus transatlantic - didn't book seat - do they assign seat during check in 24 hours prior, or within the 24 hour window can you pick a free seat (for free)?

If you can't pick, are you better off waiting until last minute to get a better seat, i.e. they might assign the worse ones earliest on.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You will have a choice of seats during check in

They might not be great choices depending on what is already selected, they wont seat you in the front of the economy cabin unless they have no space left elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Assuming you’re flying on an A330, at check-in Aer Lingus will let you select a seat in the rear economy cabin for free. The remaining options in the rear cabin tend to be quite sparse and scattered by this stage though so if you’re travelling with a group of people and opt not to select a seat you will likely be assigned seats together in the forward cabin. If you are traveling on your own will probably be assigned one of the remaining seats in the rear cabin. I have intentionally not selected seats before when travelling with others with a tight connection in Boston and have been successfully assigned seats very close to the door.

Tbh though unless you’ve a very tight connection and really need to be close to the door I wouldn’t sweat it, I find that all of the seats on the A330 are equally as comfortable and if you end up in an exit row or bulkhead seat you will likely be close to crying babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Looking at the remaining seats, as you said, not many in rear cabin, but I'd ideally like to avoid a seat in the middle section i.e. the seats within the 4 seat section between left and right. I might start check in and see what is on offer, but if it's only those, hold out and see what happens.

Edit - Oh, I see it's a 3/3 formation. Dunno where I got the 3/4/3 sorry! But I think it could be 3/4/3 on the way out, but seat selection no longer available to check what is left (other than at check in 24 hours before).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If you booked the saver option it's randomly allocated seating.

Ah. Ok, yes, was the saver option. Back to original question, if they only allocate on check in, perhaps better waiting to check in a bit later in hope of a better seat. But as someone else said here, it's not a biggy, I was just curious as to whether they actively allocate cheaper seats to saver fares, or whether it is haphazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I checked in ASAP on the flight I was on to New York and got a window seat, checked in about 10 hours before on return and got aisle, so I think it's completely random.

On way out, I see it's a 2/4/2 formation and there is a batch of about 20 in the middle section still available. I'll risk holding off, as the more expensive seats are still for sale on check in, so I will take a chance that they still want to try and sell those, not give them away first. Who knows!

Edited - fix to 2/4/2 as per goingnowhere's correction.

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 on Aer Lingus A330's

Yes, sorry, I meant 2-4-2. I ended up with an Aisle seat in the 2 seats section up near front, so happy with that.

Advertisement