Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headfort School Reviews

Options
  • 15-01-2024 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anybody sent a child to Headfort lately? Our daughter is supposed to start there in September, but we're now hesitant due to the fact the building, the Headmaster and staff are all getting horrendous reviews on Google. There's also a Kells Facebook page which is giving us huge concerns about the safety of the grounds and the building 🤷🏼‍♀️

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I know very little about the school. but I certainly would not be swayed by "Google reviews" in relation to any school. I just had a quick look there- there seem to be "one review wonders." I don't give any credence to a one review poster on Tripadvisor for the same reason. As to a Facebook page for a town, I would certainly not even consider that as "evidence. " For example here on boards, anyone can join and then immediately start throwing all kinds of wild ideas about, to bolster an agenda.

"The truth hurts headfort school about the games room otherwise they wouldn't be reporting it to Google. Jioke as i talk truth," is something I wouldn't imagine a parent of a pupil writing, if only due to the punctuation. "signed.concerned Kells native." And "I’m disappointed in the board for not seeing how too faced ?" by another single reviewer.

If you have a child due to start in the school, did you not attend an open day, at the very least? if you are to be dissuaded so easily by unverifiable sources as those, above the evidence of your own eyes, then perhaps you'd best look elsewhere.

I do find it very interesting that this is the second new poster in a week whose first ever post is about the school, considering the last post was a few years back. I closed that particular thread due to the rule about not dragging zombie threads up. That particular poster doesn't seem to have made a second post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Binx12

We attended an open day under the former regime. We were very impressed by the school and it's staff. However, very few of those staff remain as was evident at a recent open day. The new Headmaster seemed aloof and out of his depth. We came on this thread hoping to find the opinions of current or recent past parents. We did not expect to be castigated for starting a new thread on the subject!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are not being castigated, but I do think you need to start taking social media with a very large pinch of salt. Your best source should come from face to face talks with parents of current pupils, not a bunch of anonymous internet accounts where you have no idea what the posting motives were nor even if they posters are parents or have kids attending the school or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Binx12

Cheers. Maybe some current parents will find this thread. We're in Cork so it makes it difficult to speak with anyone face to face. Our daughter would be boarding. Hence our reliance on social media and Google reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 personperson

Hi there. We started our two kids at headfort in late 2022. They are day pupils so I can’t speak to the boarding experience, however so far they have had a great experience. The school really focuses on the whole child ensuring that, in addition to the academics, they also have the opportunity to explore and be kids.

As regards the headmaster, we have had no issues whatsoever. To be honest, it’s not entirely clear what folks expect from him. While the school has always had a lovely culture, folks forget that the school closed previously after a sustained financial decline. With this in mind, his primary focus should be sustainability of the school as well as the culture - which as far as we can see (with a healthy roll and thriving kids) he is achieving. Personally, outside of this I have no expectations.

May have rambled a bit, but hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Abbaesque

we find it amazing- happy child there. PM if you want any deets

Post edited by Abbaesque on

Advertisement