Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single pension scheme

Options
  • 15-01-2024 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So I joined the Defence Forces in 2013 and signed up to the single pension scheme. I then left and went to An Garda Siochana 8 years later. With no break in my service. Both of the are under the single pension scheme but I cannot transfer service. Is this correct? Hardly have two pensions under a single pension scheme? Any help or advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not an expert, but I don't think there is the concept of 'transferring service' under the Single Pension Scheme, precisely because you're a member of the scheme, rather than being an Army pensioner or a Garda pensioner.

Why would you want to 'transfer your service'?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ya, I had a breeze through the documentation just to get an idea of what it is all about. That would be my understanding as well, especially if you look at how benefits are calculated. I did not see anything in the formula that varies other than the salary payment figure, all the rest is standard regardless of the uniformed service the payee is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AD301

So I have 8 years paying into this while I was in the Defence Forces and my understanding is that this amount stops and I now start at 0 again, instead of it been added on to the money I have paid in from the army. So il have 2 payments but from the same scheme.

Advertisement