Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Consoles & Wireless Controller Solutions

Options
  • 15-01-2024 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I noticed a bit of wireless controller talk so was thinking it might be nice to get a thread going about it specifically.

There's been a bit of an explosion of wireless retrogaming pads in the last few years, so much so that it really feels archaic to be using anything with a wire these days.

I'm getting there with converting my consoles over to wireless - The last that I really need to figure out are the PC Engine, N64 and Dreamcast.

Ultimately I'd rather the wireless pads were 1:1 with the originals design wise but I'd still take a modern looking pad over wired original one.

The Retrofighters 'StrikerDC Wireless' is something I've just been made aware of and is case in point a 'modern' looking pad that will work with an old console.

It's a comfortable looking 2.4ghz wireless Dreamcast pad that actually does something interestingly and has the VMU slotting into a dongle rather than the controller. Anyone tried one of these yet?

Nice review below.

8Bitdo then have something that looks like a bit of a fun project, a drop in N64 wireless pad mod. No soldering required, you just take the old controller PCB out and pop the new one in.

The PC engine is a little bit scant on options unfortunately. There was a bluetooth adapter made but it seems to be sold out and to be honest it's a bit of a monstrosity. I believe there were some rumblings about 8BITDO releasing a Retro receiver for the release of the Analogue Duo (they do already have a lovely wireless PCE pad afterall) but nothing too much has been said since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

8BitDo can’t or won’t ship that N64 kit to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well that's annoying, looked like a bit of fun to install.

Seem to be a few folks selling them on ebay with the mod done but they're not the cheapest.

I see Retrobit has these guys modelled after the Hori N64 pad which is quite nice. Still kind of want the original pad though for authenticity sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’ve got a wired version of that Tribute64 pad and I have to say I like it, but the analogue stick is far from authentic for N64 games. It’s very sensitive.

Sorry @o1s1n, I don’t mean to be down on your suggestions, I’m just super bitter about the 8BitDo shipping thing. Need to try to work around it.

The Nintendo Switch Online N64 controller is Bluetooth and works with Mister if you have a BT receiver and feels authentic. I grabbed an extra one just before Christmas.

It will also work with the BT adapter for N64 that 8Bit Mods sells. I highly recommend that!

https://8bitmods.com/n64-blueretro-controller-receiver-with-memory-pak-smoke-black-/

Master of the Universe

Oh yes of course! I keep forgetting the bluetooth N64 Switch controller has a compatible receiver for the actual console.

How's the build quality of that pad actually? Assuming it feels 1:1 with the original given it's Nintendo made?

/Edit - ah, I see they've repurposed the memory card/rumble slot for a battery compartment instead. Bit of a no runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Great idea for a thread.

Was just about to recommend the Switch Online N64 pad route with adapter but Colonel Panic beat me to it. Definite improvement over the likes of the Tribute64. Have the wireless one linked above. Lack of support for addons is a downside though, but the Blue Retro adapters do have virtual memory card support - must get around to trying that out, just not high on the list of priorities.

8bitdo apparently do have a N64 pad in the works alongside Analogue's next console release, but God knows when that will be.

The Retrofighter stuff is decent. Have the original wired Striker Dreamcast one, so if the wireless one is similar, it'd be a decent quality. They're a little hard with little 'give' if that makes sense. Same goes for their BattlerGC for the Gamecube and the Defender PlayStation ones, but they're fine pads and wireless works very well. The 8bitdo PS adapters though may make more sense nowadays in the case of the latter. Its great that they're accounted for the VMUs with the wireless DC option though.

Never understood why 8bitdo didn't just chuck out original dongles for the PCE Mini pads. Granted the two different port sizes would need to be accommodated between the regions, but with no sign of them now, it seems unlikely. The Analogue Duo has built in 2.4 receivers so that doesn't need a dongle, original or otherwise, so perhaps they're just not arsed. Think there were some community projects out there with people creating their own adapters, but that's hardly a solution.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I missed that bit in the Blue Retro adapter spec about there being a virtual memory card, consider me interested once again! I think I might pick up that first given Nintendo are actually making those N64 bluetooth controller themselves.

Yeah I could never figure out why 8Bitdo didn't throw out a PCE dongle to go with their new pad, would have been a lovely solution. You're right, the Duo having built in receivers probably put an end to that.

Couple more platforms getting the wireless treatment.

Already had the original Saturn efforts from Retrobit, but the addition of the analogue nubs makes it worth checking out, plus there's always the included PC dongle if trying out the emulation route (perhaps even MiSTer) as opposed to the original.

OG Xbox is certainly overdue a modern wireless option, and Retro Fighters have demonstrated an ability to provide quality options on other platforms so eager to try these out. I did hear something about a firmware fix needed for the pressure sensitive buttons, but will hope to get to try these out over the weekend anyway, might be already sorted.

Master of the Universe

Ooooh cool, be interested in hearing if that Saturn analog stick is any good at replicating the Sega 3D pad for the likes of Nights.

Aye, that's the hope alright.

The 3D pad got back in the day still works to be fair to it - probably because it only got used with Nights :) (no Sega Rally Plus back then) But if this provides a decent alternative then it should be a good alternative, even if the sticks are a little on the small side and recessed a bit. I know there's a day one firmware for it for analogue drift issues with some setups in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Let us know how the Saturn one fares out for Nights 3D etc. I'm kinda torn now between the 8bitdo Saturn pad and this. I'm leaning towards the 8bitdo because it's the closest to the OG form factor, but the analogue stick on the RetroBit one could have its uses too!

• Advertisement

RetroBit also do a very nice looking Mega Drive pad - original form factor, but with six buttons - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CKRHN9SF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Had a bit of a play with both the Retrobit Saturn Pro and the Retro Fighters Xbox Hunter yesterday evening - latter appears quite decent. Feels good in the hand, solid plastic which while not quite up to the standard of the first-parties (or better 8bitdo models). Didn't try anything that uses pressure sensitive buttons, but apparently that does need a bit of work (no firmware out there yet). But general use seems fine, bar some vibration quirk - thought it wasn't working at first, but then in another title it was. Could use some work on that front as maybe it's certain titles the pad needs need better detection of. Could have sworn Timesplitters 2 had vibration for example, but either way it wasn't working here.

Now the Retrobit Saturn Pro is a bit more of a mixed bag TBH. It's probably not going to be the all-in-one replacement for the 3D Controller, as the lack of proper analogue shoulder buttons can't be got around. There's so little travel in them that even though you may think they're analogue, they are more like quick trigger buttons. Retrobit are apparently bringing out their Dreamcast effort later in the year, that will apparently feature the D-Pad from the Saturn range, but also proper analogue triggers so will be able to function in the same manner on the Saturn. The actual analogue sticks are a bit on the small side for me personally - more like joycon nubs - but at least they fit well on the flat-like controller. Left stick does what its supposed to once you enable 3D mode.

Other thing that gets me with Retrobit, is that, even with the proper licensing etc, I never think their build quality is quite up there with 8Bitdo. Not shabby by any means, but usually feel a little cheaper in the hand. Don't get me wrong, the pad does a lot of things well, much like their original effort - just enough movement on the D-Pad, responsive buttons, but the design of the triggers just doesn't sit well. I'd love to see what 8bitdo would do with a Saturn pad for example, but 3D control stuff aside, it's a fine Saturn pad. I did hear some people reporting incorrect button-mapping when used on PC, but didn't get to try that out, plus it was probably already sorted in a firmware - the last of which added a 'Virtual-On' profile to the controller to mimic a twin stick setup

Appreciate the info. It's kind of in line with what I'd read about the Saturn Pro, and agreed re the build quality of the retrobit stuff...it's decent, but probably a level below 8bitdo.

Advertisement