Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Gas Boiler

Options
  • 15-01-2024 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I’m looking for some advice/recommendations for a gas boiler to replace a Vokera Mynute 14SE. I’ve been told by a plumber the heatexchanger is gone and not worth replacing (the boiler is over 15 years old). Is that the case or would replacing the heatexchanger do the job?

The house is a 4 bed semi-d (BER C rated). Currently there are no zones, when the boiler is on it heats the rads and hot water. There is a valve in the hot press that I shut during the summer to stop the rads being heated.

The house has 10 radiators in total.

What are the most reliable and efficient brands? Ideally I’d like to have an upstairs/downstairs/hot water zone system. Is there much work involved in upgrading a single zone system to this kind of system? I’d also like to have a boiler that I can turn on/off remotely from an app.

Id appreciate any advice on the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stiophan

Remember this is a non condensing type boiler so it worth replacing the heat exchanger for what is a well out of date boiler (and that presumes it was installed correctly during the slapdash boom construction era). I am in much the same scenario and my boiler works ...I would consider getting some quotes - . New boilers extract more of the waste heat from your hot gas flue than dumping it at your cost. They are quieter, more efficient and (hopefully) just as efficient and safe. For some it can allow the removal of the hot water tank (combi boilers) and/or the cold water tanks (attic) freeing up valuable space. At the same time new thermostats won't add much more. Its perhaps time to move to a real multizone system that can control the water and sets of rooms. I will be considering adding TRVs ie radiator thermostats to the most used rooms so I can control each room temp depending on its use. Finally perhaps its worth spending a bit to get a BER assessment (or ask your neighbour for theirs if it was sold recently when one is mandatory to have done) if their home looks similar (even if not in use). Yes as heat exchanger will be the cheapest install but we're talking about a very old boiler and ancient boiler controls ...

Advertisement