Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Songs that aren't about Christmas

Options
  • 15-01-2024 12:45pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So while on a walk this morning in a frosty world the song "A Winter's Tale" popped into my head. I played it and was surprised it wasn't a mention of Christmas in it, as it was only played at Christmas time I could have sworn it's a Christmas song but it is infact a Winter song.

Which got me thinking what other songs would you only hear at Christmas time are not actually related to Christmas, this should make for a nice wintery playlist.

So far i have;

"A Winter's Tale" - David Essex

"Jingle Bells"

"Sleigh Ride" - The Ronnetts

"Let It Snow" - Dean Martin

Any more to add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

"Stop The Cavalry" - Jona Lewie

And Christmas FM taught me that "Last Christmas" by Wham isn't really a Christmas song

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The power of love by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Stay Another Day by East 17

White is in the winter night by Enya

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Baby its cold outside never mentions Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Baby it's cold outside ... I got my love to keep me war ... Let it snow ... Winter's tale ... Winter wonderland ... Frosty the snowman ... all do not mention Christmas ... they are songs with winter/snow/cold themes ... there is a difference but it is not defined when all get played for Christmas ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

New Order put a Christmas tree in the video for Fine Time hoping it would get considered a Christmas song.

It has no other theme that would vaguely make that so, so it didn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmIqF-yC2E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are you doing New Year's Eve & New Years Day by U2 doesn't quite fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Perhaps - Winter Song by Ingrid Michaelson & Sara Bareilles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja6FNv6vBMI

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

He does say " I wish I could be home for Christmas" though. So he is singing about Christmas but I do get it wasn't wrote as one.

Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney. Although it does deal with the theme of peace and the video is the Christmas truce of WW1.

To be fair nearly all of the Phil Spector Christmas album doesn't mention Christmas but they are all clearly Christmas songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I know Stay another day is somewhat considered a Christmas song but I haven't heard it in years. Do others hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was played on ChristmasFM a good few times which vexes me greatly as it is NOT a Christmas song!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only You by the flying pickets and caravan of love by the house Martins are two that spring to mind.

Two become one by the spice Girls is another.

At least I associate the above with Christmas though, power of love by Frankie goes to Hollywood has never felt christmassy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

2 become 1 The Spice Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I remember the Power of Love being released at Christmas, the music video is of the Nativity, as Christmassy as you can get. But I agree that the lyrics are not Christmassy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are these not songs tho that were number one at Christmas? Like you could play spice girls 2 become 1 on radio any month and no one would bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CylonXIII

"The most wonderful time of the year" never mentions Christmas

Kids jingle belling - yes

Holiday greetings - yes

Friends come to call - yes

Christmas - nope!

I’d argue the most wonderful time of the year is absolutely a Christmas song, too many references to Christmas and the mention of the season itself below

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CylonXIII

I stand corrected

Deleted.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I genuinely though 'what the....' when I read that post 😀

For me that's the greatest Christmas song of all time & could only ever be associated with it. Hear it any other time of the year & it just sounds wrong. I know a couple of TV adverts have used it for summer holidays in jest & it just doesn't work IMO. Its so 'of the season' it couldn't be any more Christmas.

A 4 time launch song on Christmas FM too... safe to say its definitely a Christmas song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

You won't hear it at any other time of the year on radio though. Like The Power Of love and other examples here they are now Christmas songs.The reason is they were num 1 at Christmas which seems a bit silly but that's the way it happened.Lots of other non Christmas Christmas num 1s can be played all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Songs out of Love Actually for me such as Too Lost in Love the Sugarbabes, Here with me Dido, etc all sort of remind me of Christmas!

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

A Spaceman Came Travelling.....Chris de Burgh

In the Bleak Midwinter

Glasvegas - A Snowflake Fell and it Felt Like a Kiss

Walking in the air is another one.

Funnily enough, 'In the bleak midwinter' was originally titled 'A Christmas Carol'

Good call though as no reference to Christmas in it at all yet is commonly considered a Christmas carol. Great bloody carol it is too.

Advertisement