Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long eared owl in South KK?

Options
  • 15-01-2024 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is my first post in this form. Recently I was hearing what I thought was dog barking in the distance but as I listened more closely I realised it must be an owl of some description. I only hear it in darkness. This evening I heard it when back door is open so it was very clear to me. So obviously hard to describe a sound in text but the best way I can describe it is that sounds like too short barks from a small dog but not quite like a dog.

I had a listen to some owl sounds on YouTube and the Birdwatch website and it seems to be pointing towards been a long Earred owl. The only problem I can see what that is apparently they do not call in the winter time. Has anyone on this forum heard one of these birds before or north there in the South Kilkenny area?

Thanks in advance

Cui bono?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

If you can record the sound on a quiet night and stick it up here you'll get the best idea.

Alternatively, it's worth trying to check it on the Merlin birding app. Not perfect, but can be good.

I've often heard the owlets looking for food at night, in the summer. Like a squeaking gate from dusk to dawn.

Some of the adult (female) sounds are very like a dog barking alright, going by recordings online

Gorgeous birds to spot and have nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Cheers, I’ll get that app. I don’t know how I’d record them unfortunately. They make a call with two sounds and then they are gone but I’ll think on it 🙂

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

plenty of quiet still nights this week (hopefully!)

If you had time to stand out for a minute or two at a time with a notes/voice recorder app open on your phone,you might catch them.

I know it's like a dog doing tricks, when you want them to call, they won't 😅

The Merlin app saves your recordings and shows the wave forms though, so probably just easier to try that one out first, as I'm fairly sure you can upload the recordings here then if you get them

Those are great tips, thanks.

I normally hear him/her (no idea) on the roof late at night, after 11. Last night I heard them in a different place at about 7. It was very dark and I had the back door open for a few mins with the light on. Makes we wonder if they saw the light and came over to use it to hunt for prey.

Might try the same tactic tonight to see if I can attract them.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

You must have a great tank of oil for the boiler to be leaving the door open these cold evenings. 😄

Best of luck with the search.

• Advertisement

Hehe! I had it open for less than 10 mins to get the smell of cooking out of the house. Pure coincidence I heard it!

Hasn't been a hoot since but I’m still listening out.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Intriguing...they cannot be owlets at this time of the year. My first thought was squirrel (they do bark) or fox (they are starting their mating activities).

It certainly sounds like it was coming from the roof but it could be an echo either I suppose. I trust the more knowledgeable poster here, of course.

No sound in the last week but I’ll keep listen to hopefully find out what creature it is

Cui bono?

Advertisement