Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 amp circuit - two lamps/one socket?

Options
  • 14-01-2024 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi. Any help appreciated for someone who can wire a plug/change a light fitting but that's about it.

I have a 5 amp circuit in my sitting room with three sockets for lamps and a wall switch to turn them all on/off.

I have two small identical lamps with 2.2w (25w) bulbs that I would like to power from one of the 5 amp sockets. I don't want to use any double adaptors and would also like a "local" switch for the two lamps (if you get me).

This is what I'm thinking but it seems too simple:

- run a 5 amp plug to a junction box with a simple inline switch before the box. (Something like this for the box: https://www.screwfix.ie/p/wago-24a-light-junction-box-39-x-95-x-29mm-grey/8423f )

- connect both lamps to the other side of the junction box

- plug it in!

I have researched as far as I can with the limited knowledge I have and it seems like this should work fine for the 5 amp circuit and wouldn't overload anything, but as I mentioned it seems a bit too simple to me!

Am I going to burn the house down? Is this something I should leave to the electrician next time he's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

swap the 5amp socket for a switched one

then use the joint box and lead as you described no need for an inline switch

if the leads are long enough on the lamps then it may be possible to double up the connection directly into the 5amp plug top and do away with any joint box

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

A switch on the socket hadn't occured to me. Thanks!

These lamps will be on shelves so I think I can hide the junction box somewhere and then a single cable to the socket is probably tidiest.

In my ignorance two cables going into a plug (if I understand you right) makes me nervous, but I guess it's no different from a junction box in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd change all 3 5amp sockets for switched ones.

That way, you have the option of using your existing wall switch to control new lamps also if other sockets happen to be switched off. Just giving more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Will a socket that is already switched at the wall make it confusing?

Advertisement