Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter tripping RCD?

Options
  • 14-01-2024 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi folks. I have solar panels for 5+ years. All going well until Smart Meter gets installed. Noticed solar RCD tripped on the day of install. After resetting, the RCD continues to trip randomly. I've left it off now and no satisfaction from ESBN. Might just be a coincidence, just wondering if anyone could shed some light? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RhGal

Same thing happening to us. Smart meter installed (no notice other than letter in Dec saying in coming weeks) on Friday. RcD tripping at least twice daily since then. TLI sent supervisor out to check the work. He could not find anything, said he called ESB to check isolator and they would be coming that evening. Next day ESB phoned to say not their problem and we need our electrician to inspect our 2yr old RCD box. Even offered to reimburse if electrician finds it is their fault afterall (not sure how we prove that). They're due to call monday to double check isolator.

Uk forums mention switch being too near meter or needing metal box to prevent surge caused by smart meter signal. But TLI guy said nothing looked wrong with ours and unlikely to be an internal problem (eg faulty toaster) as rcd would turn off again immediately.

Tripping for us seems random but occurred to me it might be our heating which is Wi Fi controlled (Ember).

May be coincidence Stoney River, but were based in Galway and your other post suggest you are too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

An insulation resistance test and an rcd test should get to the bottom of this for you

imho it’s unlikely to be the meter as this is before the rcd and therefore not protected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I wonder whether the resistance of the earthing changed (better connection/better clamping) during the upgrade and if the original installation was only marginal and had a high leakage to that point - would that then affect the existing earth fault loop impedance causing more RCD trips. Be interesting to see what is found by the sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s a good point. You’d hope the original solar installer did a loop test (5years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Been well discussed smart meter installs causing RCD trips

Supposedly related to the physical proximity of meter to rcd afaik if there's any truth in it

Meter install shouldn't affect fault loop afaik . Wouldn't they only be working on the main live conductors unless they were upgrading the fused cutout maybe

• Advertisement

Out of interest is meter close to rcd

I believe that was the supposed cause if true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd like to think that's not the true case. RCD's and similar devices such as that should be capable of filtering out nuisance noise and would be tested by the certifying body for sensitivity to leakage. Consequently we should also be seeing trips when a mobile phone is held near to an RCD, but I've yet to hear of that being an issue...?

Ya I've no explanation for that only what I've read

You'd expect the odd coincidence too . A RCD trip just happening to coincide with a meter install

That seems a more likely explanation. The lower fault loop is also a possibility if there was work done on the main earth connection

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Meter proximity sounds like one of these mad theories that evolve into "facts"

Far more likely reduced fault impedance on possible n-e type fault affected installations.

Even more so if a neutralising connection was not there and then added.

Ya'd expect a certain amount of coincidences anyhow given the large number of installs

• Advertisement

Tin foil hat that theory probably

Thought i'd throw it out there in case there was any basis in fact

I'll probably checkup on it see is there any solid info , seems unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sounds like nuisance tripping, can you check what mA RCD is installed? Any Solar inverter manual I've read always recommends/specifies a 100mA RCD instead of the 'normal' 30mA RCD to avoid it. Unfortunately sometimes 30mA are installed where they shouldn't be.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

The vast majority of 30ma RCDs are 30ma which is what they should be, for their intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I heard it being discussed that the Regs are bringing the Solar up to100mA.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The power output from a radio signal or wifi can trip a rcd if too close. We had this issue on a oil and gas plant. We were upping the signal to reach various parts of a mine. We found even using a walkie talkie beside a cabinet with rcds or GFCIs it would trip them. Or even GFCIs at a socket. It's something that no-one really knows about. Hence why only esb equipment should be in the outside box. All other equipment should be no where near a smart meter or any device that transmits. It's going to a be huge problem. We only found out by putting a rig together on a table. Rcd circuit. And started changing the power out transmit power on our radios till be found what didn't trip the rcds. We ended having to put booster stations in dead areas of the mine to transmit out signal at a lower power output.

The nearest RCD to a smart meter now would be an rcbo on external car charging board

Then you'd have older work with meters next to main board

Presumably if it is an issue the newer RCDS are less susceptible than the older models

This issue appears to exist alright

Affects older RCDS afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StoneyRiver

Hi Folks. Thanks for your comments. To give an update. Shortly after posting above (mid Jan) I contacted ESBN and asked that they recheck the installation. They reluctantly agreed. I left the RcD tripped. Around the end of February I flipped the RcD and it hasn't tripped since (over a month later). I have no idea if the smart meter installation was rechecked and if so modified, or if the fault was the house side of the meter and somehow resolved itself.

On writing this I've decided I'm going to contact ESBN to see if they confirm a repair or even if the call out occurred, I know what your thinking and I feel foolish even suggesting it.

Advertisement