Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razor blade buying, where?

Options
  • 14-01-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After years of playing with disposable razors, I got sick of the clogging of the blades that happens three or four times during a shave and is hell to shift on multi blade razors which increasingly seem to be the only option as the single blade ones don't seem to work too well for me now.

Anyway for the first time in my life, I bought a safety razor from Lidl and of course as is normal with the company they sell the product but not the consumables.

Where does One get blades? I don't see them on the shaving rack at chemists or other supermarkets and am running out of the supply that came with the razor.

Is there something I'm missing are they sold in shops anywhere now?

I can't order from Amazon as they seem to be deemed too unsafe to post.

Incidentally I am now in my late sixties and have only ever used disposable or electric razors. Why on earth were the old safety razors replaced by these things? I will never go back, that's for certain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Highly recommend shaving.ie for anything you might need

Prompt delivery and prices are acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thank you!

I did look them up and it was my second choice. I was hoping I had overlooked a source that I could get in a local over the counter sale.

I will place the order.

The postage for what I need put me off a tad, I know I'm a cheapskate and it's not much but there is something I hate about paying delivery and it's compounded with not having a mobile or smartphone for payment security.

The estimated lifespan of the blades that was marked on the pack was way out. I'm on my second blade after three or four weeks. I think I can see why safety razors are not popular with the manufacturers. I now know why companies put so much into advertising the disposable cartridge type.

But I estimate that a years supply will be not much more than ten euro and that includes substitution of the Stanley blade for sourdough carving :-)

Anyway, many thanks, your recommendation is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I've used both the aforementioned shaving.ie and 4men.ie for buying razor blades, and I can recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

For postage, 4men.ie offer free postage when more than €30 is spent. I did that and reckon I got about 300 blades. Should last me a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

When you say disposable razor do you mean the likes of this junk where you chuck the whole razor when done.

Gillette Sensor3 Comfort, Disposable Shaving Razors for Men, Men’s Razors with Lubrastrip, 6x4-Pack https://amzn.eu/d/gGoIOoh

or this type where you just chuck the blades

WILKINSON SWORD - Hydro 5 Skin Protection Sensitive Razor For Men | Hyderating Gel & Precision Trimmer | Pack of 4 Razor Blade Refills https://amzn.eu/d/0Nt64ox

and safety razor is this what you mean

King C. Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor for Men, 5 Platinum Coated Double Edge Razor Blades, Gifts for Men https://amzn.eu/d/bt3YOnf

the first type are dire. I don’t understand who would buy them.

the second I’ve been using all my life and never have any issues with clogging. I think it might have to do with the type of cream/gel/ foam you use. It might clog a little with cream but properly hot water shifts it handy. I have found king of shaves gel is by far the best, followed by a good cream (body shop one is decent). I usually rub a few drops of shaving oil over face first.

the last type I just got one myself. Would be interested to know where people get the blades. Will look around aforementioned sites. It came with 5 blades.

OP you said you felt the estimated life span was way out. Over or under? What does second blade after 3 or 4 weeks mean? As in how many shaves? not everyone bothers to shave every day

• Advertisement

Yes you have it in one.

I haven't graphics enabled on this browser but from the description it is the disposable razor type I used mainly. I tend to avoid major brands though but the type is what I used to go for.

My last batch of disposables were simple Bic's which as far as single blade razors go are as good as any and far better than the two and three blade devices due to clogging.

I have a casual approach and only use soap or shower gel as a lubricant as I have all my life, but something has changed, it must be the hair quality as I spend a lot of time banging the razor against the sink to shift the debris.

The pack on the Lidl razor led me to believe that I would get not much better than the same life expectancy as a disposable, in fact the all metal reusable angle swayed me as much as anything else as I do kind of like the planet and am increasingly aware of the difficulties plastics cause.

The longevity is far greater, I would use maybe ten disposables in a month but I have had the thing nearly a ,month or so now and have used two blades.

This I suppose is to be expected as there are two sides to the safety razor blade, so that's twice the number of shaves, then there are the number of disposables that hit the bin still sharp but clogged solid.

Anyway I really am pleased with it, it certainly is one of my better purchases. I find it irritating though how products, in particular tools flash onto the display in both Aldi and Lidl, but are totally unsupported if they require consumables.

My last purchase of something needing replenishment before the razor was a stapler and before I bought it asked about the size and source of additional staples after the supplied pack was used. The reply, "Toolstation", a UK company I found pretty good, but not a lot of use to me here.

Jaysus, soap or shower gel! You don’t think much of yourself do you 🤣

anyway, you can get those blades you now require loads of places so you might need to get out of Lidl 🤣

that’s boots, try your local chemist

Thanks, I'll try the Tralee branch tomorrow.

I used shaving foam once ever, I've a feeling it was a gift, I wouldn't buy the stuff.

I honestly thought it was soap. I found out it wasn't when I tried to clean the inside windscreen of my Transit with it.

It came off my face easier than the Transit fortunately.

In my dim and distant I recall the male members of the family using shaving sticks. A sort of foil wrapped soap version of a Denny's black pudding.

I assumed it went out of fashion as it is difficult to make shaving look young, sporty and sexy with a brush, shaving stick and razor to juggle in a advertising clip friendly manner.

🤣🤣😂

Shaving foam is horrible, I rank it beside those disposable razors you were using as an abomination to male grooming.

try the king of shaves gel or a decent shaving cream.

i have heard of shaving sticks but never used or seen on. Assume probably close to shaving cream you get nowadays.

I consider myself young sporty and sexy 😎 use a good brush with the cream. If they can pay me handsomely, I’ll make their ads for them

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

If you ever get stuck with multi blade razor again I found just having a little bowl filled with boiling water always cleaned out any clog with a few swishes in the water unless you are shaving a week worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I like Harry's razor blades

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Palmolive Shave Cream, about half a toothbrush worth on a shave brush is all you need and it will last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I use shaving.ie

Try a multipack of different blades.

Thank you I will bear it in mind, but frankly as long as the hair comes off and there's no discomfort like I had with the early Bic disposables, I am reasonably happy.

I always look on things that hydrate and moisturise with a shade of cynicism though, I have a sink full of the stuff that has served the purpose long before the advertisers decided to use its functionality as a buzzword and it's very generously supplied by Irish Water at a minuscule price.

The safety razor was something I never ever had before, but I bought it with an expectation of it meeting two distinct purposes. I am more than happy in that respect, it does the job perfectly. I really don't think a departure from my bog standard soap would significantly improve my shaving experience. Like those little lubricating strips on disposables, I really wouldn't know or care if the disposables I was buying had them, I can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gruser

Another endorsement for shaving.ie here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

+1 on shaving.ie and try boards.ie as your discount code. It used to give 5% off anyway.

Advertisement