Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you stopped paying your phone contract ?

Options
  • 13-01-2024 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

I always wondered about this one, you have a two year contract on your new phone and you say to hell with this after 6 months and stop paying your monthly bill. What actually would happen ? Would you have to give the phone back or would it just be blocked via the imei and your number disconnected ? Would a collector agency be sent after you to make you pay off your contract ? I don't believe your credit rating can be threatened as only banks can do that as far as I know. I don't have a phone contract myself btw. I generally avoid them like the plague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This happened to a friend who moved to Aus, they thought the contract was cancelled. It didn't get cancelled right.

Long story short, vodafone had passed to a debt collection company. When the arrived back they had lost their credit history and it tooks ages to get sorted.

Vodafone finally accepted it was an error on both sides and everything was restored.

Not sure why you think credit rating is not affected? it was a nightmare for my mate as they came back, needed a car and couldn't get a loan to buy a car till it was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Telecom operators operate a credit reference service called credit insights. Abandoning a contract would quickly ensure no other Telco would provide anything other than PAYG service.

Regarding handsets, they are occasionally IMEI blacklisted but iirc, that blacklisting only works on Irish networks. The handset if unlocked, could be used on foreign networks.

Regarding the debt, as an example if you undertake a 2yr contract at 50pm and abandon it after 6 months? The Telco would start with reminder calls, they'd seek to ensure payment as agreed. If no payments are forthcoming? Contracts usually allow for outstanding total of the entire contract to be crystallised and then passed to a collection agency.

Collection agency will seek to recover the full amount and that can result in District court action which would be reported in Stubbs Gazette and be available to credit reference agencies should a judgement be awarded.

Advertisement