Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server Build for Unraid, Plex and Home Assistant

Options
  • 12-01-2024 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at building a home server - planning on using Unraid for storage and start off with Plex and arr containers, then start down the path of home assistant and probably look at adding IP Cameras with something like BlueIris. Planning to start with the below, I have an old case I can use for now and will be buying recertified drives for the server (will be using one of these for parity in unraid) + adding a few other drives I have laying around.

Anyone have any advice on the below? I know it's likely a bit overkill but I don't have any Intel parts lying around (I have a Ryzen 3600 spare, but I would need to add a graphics card to it for plex and looks like I would have a less stable time with it)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/zz3N28

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (€256.27 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€212.20 @ Galaxus) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory (€97.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€116.90 @ Alza) 

Total: €683.27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Have a plex server with a 4 disk array and 2 cache drives all working off a 6700k/B250 system. Works flawlessly for plex and arr services. Also have duckdns and Pihole. Serve 2-3 devices with 1080p streams not a bother. Even have a Starbound server running. All just fine.

So, yeah you've got an excellent system there with a Intel iGPU (Quicksync is still king), a good motherboards with plenty of ports but you are missing cache drives. Get two cheap enough 500GB/1TB NVME drives for that. Plex without a cache drive is night and day in difference and you want to keep your containers permenantly running on the cache drive with backups running nightly. Don't worry about how to do this, plenty of good guides.

Don't forget a USB stick as your Unraid Licence is tied to the stick. Can't be re-used elsewhere. Also, for QOL get an adapater so you can mount it internally. The Gen2x2 port for the front panel would be perfect along with something like this for example.

Anyway, have fun. Half the fun is working it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Class, good call on the cache drives. Had seen them recommended in a couple of videos but completely forgot about it. I need to do an inventory on the SSDs I already have and will pull the trigger then. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement