Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card shuts down a few seconds after powering on.

Options
  • 12-01-2024 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi everyone, hope you are all looking forward to a great weekend.

Decided it was time for an upgrade to an i5 13600KF and DDR5 RAM (7200 MHz)

As far as I am aware, the RAM is supported as I checked the manufacturer's website and they say on the box that it supports up to 7,200 MHz. I've also installed the RAM in slots A2 and B2 as recommended in the manual.

Here is a picture of the CPU pins and as far as I can tell they look okay.

Although in getting the pictures I may have inadvertently caused another problem as I think I might have got some thermal paste on the pins.

I should also mention the only things I have connected to the motherboard are the Power for the CPU and motherboard as well as the connection for the front power switch.

Almost forgot to mention I am running a 650 watt PSU which I ran with the 4070 and an i3 13th gen.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you could give me.

Edit:

I think through testing I have narrowed down the culprit. For some reason it only works when there is one stick of RAM in the motherboard rather than the two that I bought.

Tomorrow I will try updating the BIOS and reinstalling the other stick of RAM to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

The GPU (4070?) also needs power from the PSU (it needs 200W total?). It can pull some from the mobo (75W?) but needs supplemental from the PSU. There's a connector for power on top or side (?) of the 4070. Maybe why it won't start, kick starts with the 75W from the PCIe connector on mobo, then realizes that won't cut it for requirements and stops.

The PSU @ 650W may (or may not) be enough to power your total system (200 GPU + c200 CPU + whatever else you have versus the PSU Efficiency Rating on 650W- 80%=520 cutting it close). Post total PC and PSU spec and someone will chime in. Or use a Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision.

Anything on the CPU pins is of course bad. Maybe try to (very carefully) clean with isopropyl alcohol, the pins are real fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

According to the intel website only 2 channels are supported up to 5600 MT/s which I think is 2800

In your bios see if you can set the memory speed to be 2800

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/230494/intel-core-i513600kf-processor-24m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 

192 GB

Memory Types 

Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s

Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s

Max # of Memory Channels 

Max Memory Bandwidth 

89.6 GB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

I've sent a motherboard back to Amazon and have ordered a new one but I never considered the power supply so I have decided to upgrade that as well.

One thing I didn't consider until I had the board packaged up and sent back was on the motherboard. There are two ATX power connectors My old PSU only had one ATX connector. Perhaps the issue was the board wasn't getting enough power? especially as each memory module used is 1.45 volts If I am remembering the figure correctly.

I think this time I will opt for the more expensive option and have the local IT store build the computer for me. That way I know everything will be done correctly and as a bonus I won't have to deal with the thing I hate the most about PC building and that is wiring.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Advertisement